I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

New duet from M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel

Actress Zooey Deschanel has a swanky cabaret-tinged lilt to her voice that's resonated well with me ever since she cautiously sang along with Will Ferrell in the movie Elf, and you know how much I love the humid crackle of M. Ward.

Now they've joined forces to record a cover of the Richard and Linda Thompson duet "When I Get To The Border" for the new independent film The Go-Getter. The film is directed by Martin Hynes (Stealing Harvard) and stars Lou Taylor Pucci (Thumbsucker), Jena Malone (who sings now too) and Zooey Deschanel. It was debuted at Sundance this past February and is on the hunt for a distributor to bring the goodness to the masses, hopefully by the end of the year.

M. Ward apparently scored the whole film, and the soundtrack also features Elliott Smith ("Coast to Coast"), The Black Keys ("10am Automatic"), and The Replacements.

When I Get To The Border - M. Ward & Zooey Deschanel

M.'s been on a soundtrack kick lately (such expressive atmospheric tunes add richness to any film) -- note his performance of the Jesse-Harris-penned tune "Crooked Lines" for the new Ethan Hawke film The Hottest State. That soundtrack is out next week, August 7th, on the newly-resurrected Hickory Records.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At August 01, 2007 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Egads - it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel somewhat fine.

Maybe (Flowers for) Zooey can get Medical Ward to remove the marbles from his mouth.

What's the use in mad guitar skills if, they're cold as ice?

IMO /YMMV

ps: although he was humourous, and got the irony, of I'm Goin' Down, at the Tribute to Springsteen @ Carnegie Hall. How about this: he's a good covers artist.

 
At August 01, 2007 4:19 PM, Blogger . said...

If you liked Zooey's singing in "Elf", I'm surprised you didn't mention her delicious duet with Leon Redbone on "Baby, it's cold outside". My favorite from that soundtrack, by far...

 
At August 01, 2007 4:56 PM, Blogger Rodrigo Perez said...

You saw these post on the Go-Getter soundtrack with mp3s, yes?


Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward Are Go-Getters
More Go-Getter Music

And most of the Hottes State mp3s too. :)
Hottest State Preview
Hottest State Soundtrack

 
At August 01, 2007 4:58 PM, Blogger heather said...

Thanks Playlist, and Steve - yes, that's the song she duetted with Ferrell on too as I recall? Same song, great song, now I've been walking around singing it - for reals. Always gets stuck in my head.

 
At August 01, 2007 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Zooey Deschanel is so pretty. And she has a really sultry voice, too. And of course, M. Ward is MADE OF AWESOME. :D

 
At August 02, 2007 6:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

M Ward's voice is unreal! Sounds like Ben Harper and a little like Jack Johnson. Saw him last week opening for Norah Jones, they did a few songs together and one of them was an ethereal "Blue Bayoo"

 
At August 02, 2007 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

M. Ward is a captivating artist and I think a little mysterious. Scoring films and tv series are a great venue for intensely talented songwriter/singers.

 
At August 02, 2007 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all Zooey's fault because she took that kid to the art museum and his little girlfriend fell in the river.


Hey Heather...
Zooey maybe a celebrity look alike match for you?

 
At August 02, 2007 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captivating but small.....Zooey cna sing as well - thought she was magical and honest in 'All the real girls' - this has to be investigated!

 
At August 02, 2007 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Evi said...

M Ward's voice is unreal! Sounds like Ben Harper and a little like Jack Johnson."


Oh, bollocks! ;-)

He sounds like Dave Matthews, and you know it!

 
At August 02, 2007 4:31 PM, Blogger Ads said...

hey heather. great post - thanks. m.ward is just the best. 'post-war' is absolutely one of my favourite records ever.

i also have m.ward and zooey's kcrw set from last month if you want those mp3s.

 
At August 04, 2007 3:47 PM, Blogger heather said...

Ads, yes please! Can you zip them up? I totally missed that. I hear they're doing a full album together...

 
At August 06, 2007 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Change is Hard" by Zooey Deschanel is a really fantastic song. She has a classic voice.

 
At August 22, 2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Megan said...

I just got into this and I've been listening to it all day. Amazing stuff. Zooey also recorded a few duets with actor Jason Schwartzman in Coconut Records.

Heather or Ads, is there any chance I could get a copy of Zooey and M.'s set?

 
At August 22, 2007 3:44 PM, Blogger heather said...

Megan (and Ads),
I am still waiting for Mr. Ads to reply to my comment to myself, as I don't know his email address. We both want the set! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter