I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Feel something with Jesse Harris

I first decided to take a listen to Jesse Harris when my little brother recommended him to me recently. After several years of my brother being heavily into Japanese pop and questionable Final Fantasy music (the game, not the band), I'm finding lately that our tastes are becoming more in-line. Plus I love him, so I try and move his suggestions to the top of the long "to listen" list. On this one, Brian -- definitely a good call.

Jesse Harris is from New York City, and is probably most famous these days for being the guy who wrote much of the ubiquitous, breathy Norah Jones album Come Away With Me, and won a whole boatload of Grammy Awards (the year I was there, actually). Feel is his newest album in a string of seven, coming out July 10th on Velour Recordings.

And what an album it is - luminous, fresh, and full of interesting percussion (which is the first thing I noticed). I hear tones of everything from clean Beatles pop, to Graceland-era Paul Simon, tones of the gentle banjo-plucking of Sufjan, to even hints of my beloved David Gray. I think this is a great songwriter album, catchy and nuanced, and it's getting repeated spins in my car this summer. I highly recommend this one, and I love how the album art looks the way the music feels.

Feel - Jesse Harris

After All - Jesse Harris

In equally excellent news, Jesse Harris is also the man behind the entire soundtrack for Ethan Hawke's new film The Hottest State. Jesse wrote all the songs in a continuous suite, which are then sung both by him and also artists such as The Black Keys, Bright Eyes, Willie Nelson, Cat Power, M. Ward, Emmylou Harris, and Feist. That anticipated soundtrack will be out August 7th on Hickory Records.

Somewhere Down The Road - Feist

Crooked Lines - M. Ward


Jesse Harris: tour dates & more tunes here

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 01, 2007 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in love with you for putting that Feist track up.

You rule!

 
At July 01, 2007 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hickory Records, huh? FYI.. was created for and hosts someone you may have looked past b/c of a certain TV show?? Elliott Yamin. Heather, I read your blog all the time. I love it..but you went to a Taylor Hicks show. Cripes!! You should give Elliott at listen. He was too good for American Idol and his record is proving that. If you're looking for some real soul..try Yamin Soul.

 
At July 02, 2007 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to that soundtrack album. Jesse is a wonderfully prolific songwriter. Check out his "While the Music Lasts" CD.

 
At July 03, 2007 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the m. ward track... god i love that man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter