I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, January 19, 2008

M. Ward + Zooey Deschanel collaboration is near :: Four new songs from KCRW!

I'd heard last summer that my #1 artist from 2006 and the honey voiced starlet from Elf (among other projects) were collaborating on a full-length album, but it slipped from my radar for a bit there. Now look, we only have 2 more months to wait! M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel will be collaborating under the name She & Him with an album called Volume One (they are wildly creative in both namings) due out March 2008 on Merge Records.

Recently the duo stopped by the KCRW Open Road program to play several songs together. M. Ward has that humid, scratchy, atmospheric sound that balances out the velvety old-fashioned (sexy) croon of the delighful Ms. Deschanel. This is one highly anticipated album for me in 2008; I am hoping for a higher ratio of original compositions to covers, but I'll take whatever they deal. Listen:

M. WARD AND ZOOEY DESCHANEL
KCRW OPEN ROAD, JAN 2008
Change Is Hard
You Really Got A Hold On Me
Magic Trick
Sentimental Heart


ZIP UP M AND ZOOEY



I'm heading out the door now to see this guy tonight. I am hoping there will be some digeridooing. I'll keep you posted.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At January 19, 2008 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching Zooey do a music number (with Kyra Sedgwick, I believe) at the Independent Spirit Awards a few years back and just absolutely loving her voice. I'm glad she's actually putting it on record, I wouldn't mind buying that one. :)

 
At January 19, 2008 9:41 PM, Blogger Anthony Kuzminski said...

My only question is what "jovi"e song will they cover? My vote is for "Bad Medicine"
xTony
(ELF)

 
At January 19, 2008 10:02 PM, Blogger Asian Kid A said...

oh dude i was listening to this on her myspace music page last week! thank you for providing this! i'm kinda excited to find out more about this collabo

 
At January 20, 2008 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it matters that he's short;he sure is a one clever music man to play with Jenny Lewis AND Zooey D.

Not that I am insanely jealous or feel that I have wasted my life or anything.

You know, I love my wife;I love my kids and James Stewart is my role model.

But Jenny Lewis and Zooey Deschanel........I need to find a bridge nearby and a snowy day.....

 
At January 20, 2008 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and I love the way Magic Trick has moved from anger,frustration and displacement to self reflection and confession....that kind of dialogue with a song is so fascinating for the listener....two months is going to seem like a long time.....

 
At January 20, 2008 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds pretty damn good. But I've had a thing for Zooey for eight years now (after seeing her in Almost Famous) so maybe I'm biased.

http://monkeybastard.blog.com
http://metalbastard.blogspot.com

 
At January 21, 2008 7:25 PM, Blogger Dainon. said...

Thanks for mentioning this. I've pined for Zooey for too long than I care to mention (thought seeing All The Real Girls at Sundance certainly got my attention). At least M. Ward got her to finally release something for those of us who can't make it to her cabaret show, y'know?

 
At January 22, 2008 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this! Thank you! Can't wait for the album.

 
At January 22, 2008 8:02 AM, Blogger Duck said...

It's posts like these that keep me coming back to this blog. Thanks for the Zooey update. Fantastic news. My wife and I bought the Elf soundtrack just so we could hear her sing whenever we wanted.

 
At January 24, 2008 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am looking forward to this album.
I love their version of Richard Thompson's "When I Get to the Border."

 
At January 26, 2008 11:07 PM, Blogger The Blot said...

This is so great, thanks! I can't wait to hear the full album.

 
At February 13, 2008 4:30 PM, Blogger lupita said...

can't wait till march!

 
At March 16, 2008 12:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

After hearing this, I'm in love with Zooey Deschanel. She was kind of a cute elf in that movie, but man...who knew she could sing like this? I'm smitten.

 
At April 26, 2008 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you all are idiots. He voice is garbage. M ward, almost a perfect career. Ask yourself next time: "what would eliot do?" Not a collabo with a moviestar.

 
At April 26, 2008 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, i meant he(r). Not m's voice. m's voice is a one of a kind mix of louis armstrong, bill withers and big john. but zooey's fine ass sounds like a hummingbird in a ziploc freezer bag half full of jello. hello.

 
At July 24, 2008 7:48 AM, Blogger Editor said...

Am I the only one who think that Zooey looks like KAte Perry?

Zooey Deschanel Pictures

 
At April 14, 2009 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Zooey so terribly much! And this album is amazing all over...just gold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter