I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, June 23, 2008

A song from WAY before he was born

Last night in DC, Pearl Jam brought a kid from the front row up on stage to play Ed's guitar on "All Along The Watchtower" (assumedly so Ed could be free to ricochet about the stage with his tambourines). I'd say that could be a fairly memorable moment in a kid's musical shaping -- and much cooler than anything I did at 13. Oh wait, or since.

No audio from last night's set, but this live version of Watchtower from San Francisco in 2006 is still one of my favorites ("And I'm not sure why but this feels like a San Francisco song, and uh, I think we're gonna play the shit out of it."):

All Along The Watchtower (live in SF 7-18-06) - Pearl Jam

The picture above was taken coincidentally by my pal Rob, who got in touch with me after I posted that Counting Crows live show in Boulder from 1993. After all those teenage years of mine listening to that boot on cassette, I find that Rob is the one who taped it. Small world. Thanks for the pic, Rob!

UPDATE: Rob is traveling to these shows with his friend Zack, who's writing a Pearl Jam tour blog for SPIN Magazine. Check out Off He Goes: On The Road With Pearl Jam.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At June 23, 2008 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Photos from the gig here:

http://www.informationleafblower.com/blog/archives/2008/06/photos-pearl-ja.html

 
At June 23, 2008 8:35 PM, Blogger Bona Fide Darling said...

That's way cooler than the time Ed brought the little kid on stage in TB2000!

 
At June 23, 2008 9:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

One of the coolest Pearl Jam moments I've ever seen. Wished you could have made it Heather.

 
At June 24, 2008 4:14 AM, Blogger Melepeta said...

It was an amazing show. Worth traveling from Poland to see it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym9A8osJv6I

 
At June 24, 2008 4:33 AM, Blogger IndieLimerick said...

Neil young is playing on this years european tour

 
At June 24, 2008 7:43 AM, Blogger shawn s. said...

too cool. I was at that show as well Heather (3rd row between ed and mike; i love having a low 10c member number) I actually talked to that kid a little, it apparently was his first concert ever, and was STOKED at the seats he got (1st row right in front of ed) I told him his concert going experinces would be all down hill from here...little did I know what was going to happen later in the show.

Also was it just me or did NO ONE want Black to end?

 
At June 25, 2008 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lucky little bastard

 
At June 25, 2008 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh, big deal.


jethronh

 
At June 25, 2008 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very fun!

Any chance you can post the Pearl Jam at Bannaroo from the other weekend?

Or even better that Eddie/Pete Tonshend show from way back?

PLEASE!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter