I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, July 21, 2006

Another reason I should have sacrificed my left kidney in order to be in San Francisco these last few days

In addition to Pearl Jam playing one of the best setlists I've ever seen on Sunday night in my beloved San Francisco (as in, if I could have handpicked my favorite songs for a set, this would be a solid frontrunner), they unleashed this on Tuesday night. And I wasn't there for either.

I KNEW I should have stowed away in that airplane wheelwell (since I couldn't afford a plane ticket) after a KICKASS reader offered me a free ticket to one of the SF shows.

All Along The Watchtower - Pearl Jam
(written by Dylan, but how can you not associate Hendrix when you hear this version?)

Ed introduces this song by saying:
". . . And I'm not sure why, but this feels like a San Francisco song. And, uh . . . I think we're gonna play the shit out of it."

(cue McCready, who finished the song with this) . . .

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At July 21, 2006 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Hell yeah, Ed.

I like it. Thanks for the song.

 
At July 21, 2006 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was awesome. Probably my favorite song ever.

Much better version than the one at the benefit show.

 
At July 21, 2006 1:44 PM, Blogger c said...

maybe ed associates "all along the watchtower" with san fran because he hearts u2 and he knows the scene when they played that tune at a free show in san fran in the rattle and hum movie. mmmm hmmmm.

 
At July 21, 2006 2:22 PM, Blogger Tattoosday said...

Thanks for posting it, I heard it on pjbootstrading radio and was salivating waiting for someone to post it....how about them opening for U2 at Aloha Stadium in December? Trip to Hawaii, anyone?

 
At July 22, 2006 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and it ends with Mike shirtless and thrasing his guitar like it was '94.

 
At July 22, 2006 10:10 AM, Blogger heather said...

AMEN for thrashing like it's 1994!

 
At July 22, 2006 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's also so unbelievably cool they're playing The Amerikan In Me. (No better place to pay tribute to the Avengers than SF.) I love it.

 
At July 22, 2006 11:38 PM, Blogger Chief Scientist said...

Kiddo, you put a LOT of work into this. If someone offers you a free ticket, it's because it's a small payback. Next time someone does that, take it.

 
At July 24, 2006 3:16 PM, Blogger moe berg said...

whoa. that is one badass version.

thanks for posting it.

 
At July 26, 2006 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to echo what "c" says...
been there done that...

why dont they just play"ONE" and get it over with...
btw, that free U2 show at the plaza was one of the most amazing U2 shows iv'e ever seen. incredible. But the cover of watchtower got so much more refined on their lovetown tour. this sf, ca version of it is really horrible. it was in fact patched up for the R+H record and movie...

 
At July 29, 2006 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the PJ show Tuesday night in SF and this is how All Along the Watchtower ended... Ed surfing Mike's guitar. It was beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter