I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Got forty-fives to play at night :: M Ward / Jim James / Conor Oberst live in 2004

This earthy, warm, rich bootleg is from a shared evening of music that included sets from M. Ward, Jim James of My Morning Jacket, and Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes.

Billed as the "Monsters of Folk" tour, after individual sets it closes with a six-song jam session where they all play together and sometimes (like for the closing Dylan cover) take turns with the verses. The sound quality here is sparkling and pristine with some choice song selections in the mix. Any of their single sets would be a treat in its own right; together they blow my mind a little bit.

Notable track: that Willie Nelson cover! "Always on My Mind" is one of my favorite sad songs as is, but with Jim James taking the lead vocals it aches and ebbs in a new way. There are so many wonderfully melancholy songs in this bunch - in addition to the lonesome starter of "Fuel for Fire," the way M. Ward's voice cracks on Undertaker ("Ah, but if you're gonna leeeeeeaaaaave, you better call the undertaker, take me under undertaker, take me home") is practically the sound of a heart breaking.


MONSTERS OF FOLK TOUR:
M WARD, JIM JAMES, CONOR OBERST
Feb 20, 2004, Pantages Theatre in Minneapolis

M WARD
Fuel For Fire
Duet for Guitars #3
Let's Dance (Bowie cover)
Undertaker
Helicopter
O'Brien/O'Brien's Nocturne
Vincent O'Brien
Outta My Head

JIM JAMES
One In The Same
Like It Should (unreleased?)
I Can't Wait (unreleased?)
Where To Begin (from the Elizabethtown sdtrk)
How Could I Know (b-side from Off The Record)
The Bear
Bermuda Highway
Golden

CONOR OBERST
Train Under Water
Going for the Gold (from the Oh Holy Fools comp)
Soon You Will Be Leaving Your Man
A Celebration Upon Completion
We Are Nowhere And It's Now
Landlocked Blues (oh how I love this song)
Lua
Waste of Paint

ALL THREE (WARD/JAMES/OBERST)
Seashell Tale (M Ward song)
Always On My Mind (Willie Nelson cover)
Laura Laurent (Bright Eyes song)
At Dawn (MMJ song)
At The Bottom Of Everything (Bright Eyes song)
Girl Of The North Country (Bob Dylan cover)


ZIP UP THE NIGHT
(re-upped, the individual links are removed)

(Note: Mike Mogis and Nick White also performed at this show)


[thanks to
the original taper]

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At June 03, 2008 5:22 PM, Blogger Ruralgurl said...

Thanks for making my rough day melt away. How did you know this was just what I needed?

 
At June 03, 2008 6:56 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Tres awesome! Gonna try and save this to listen on a flight I have coming up but I don't know if I have the will power; looks to good to let sit.

 
At June 03, 2008 9:06 PM, Blogger Sally Jo Who said...

Oh this is great! I'm already a fan of M. Ward (thanks to you), love Bright Eyes, and have recently been introduced to the greatness of Jim James' voice thanks to I'm Not There. :)

 
At June 04, 2008 9:19 AM, Blogger Jay Allbritton said...

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

 
At June 04, 2008 9:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my...How do you get your hands on this stuff! YOU ROCK! Thanks a lot.

 
At June 04, 2008 7:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Too cool. Once again you prove why I visit your blog every day. Thanks again Heather.

 
At June 05, 2008 12:49 PM, Blogger Billy said...

I saw this concert in Omaha that year, and this was such a great time in my life. Thanks for the memories.

 
At June 11, 2008 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will witness the voice of jim james on the 4july in Belgium.
Have seen Bright Eyes last year in Germany. So M.Ward is wanted around Belgium verry fast.
But seeing this guyes togheter is a dream, i hope it comes treu one day...

Here is a verry nice session of MMJ in Amsterdam last month

 
At June 11, 2008 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops forgot someting.

Here is the intimate session from MMJ, whit some fingernail story's from jim james walking around the canals of amsterdam.
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/ondemand/39608727

 
At August 19, 2008 5:10 PM, Blogger karen said...

this is lovely, thanks! i just downloaded the podcast of jim james at the newport folk festival from 8/2/08 and was looking around for other links when i found this.
here's the npr link for others:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92834404
thanks again!

 
At September 07, 2008 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Was wondering if you would be so kind as to report these files (says files not found when I try to open them) - thank you!

 
At October 11, 2008 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

even the zip link is gone ?!
sad.please.sad

i can speak english

can you re-up?

please!

 
At October 17, 2008 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... I saw the Monsters of Folk tour in Seattle in 2004. These tracks really brought me back. Thanks for keeping this alive. : )

 
At December 12, 2008 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw one of the shows from this tour pro shot and televised one time. i cant find it anywhere now, does anyone else know about this and where i can find it? thanks!

 
At January 06, 2009 1:03 PM, Blogger snuff mcgruff said...

why does conor get two...
thanks a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter