I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Who am I, where am I, and no more Polish women

1) I'm finally back but I am sick. Dang airplane recycled air.

2) California was excellent. In addition to all the wonderful Thanksgiving-related things, I adopted the spirit of appreciating what CA offers that CO doesn't; I got some really cute chocolate-brown corduroys at H&M in San Jose that I am wearing today, and I found a wrap dress that I want to wear every day. Plus, Trader Joe sent me on my merry way with cocoa almonds and some two buck Chuck. I could be in love with that strapping Trader man.

3) My high school reunion was the weirdest thing I think I've done yet. To see all those faces in one room - walking into that was strange. And great.

Since I can't even get my head clear enough to attack the hundreds of emails waiting for me, here are some random odds and ends that jumped out at me today, for you, since I miss you all:

۞ The new Nine Inch Nails remix album is out: Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D (took me a while but hey look that spells out "Year Zero Remixed," which is what I think I'll call it in polite conversation). After getting out of his relationship with Interscope and going all free-agent, sounds like Trent has some new innovative ideas; he's posted tons of master tracks from his songs at remix.nin.com and invites his fans to play with them and share their results. If I had any idea how to do that, I would, but for now I will settle for listening to The Faint (whose song "Posed To Death" is on my very favorite running playlist) remix "Meet Your Master" --

STREAM - "Meet Your Master" (Faint Remix)

I think it sounds pretty good. If you think you could do better, try your hand at it over on http://remix.nin.com/


۞ Black Crowes announced details today on their new album Warpaint, due March 4th. It's their first new studio record in seven years, since Lions was released on V2 in '01. Since V2 is no more, this album will be out on the band’s own newly formed Silver Arrow Records, and the new lineup includes Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi All Stars on guitar.

You can read the full tracklisting here.


۞ I stumbled across a raw demo version of The National's "Slow Show" over on Sixeyes. Now, you know how I feel about The National; My friend described this song perfectly when he wrote to me, "the national writes songs to drive through the darkness listening to, they are the best late night/early morning band i've ever heard, 20 years from now when they remake almost famous they are going to be playing fake empire or slow show in the bus scene instead of tiny dancer." I thought that was lovely. So go see what you think.


۞ Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers
are heading back into the (Mexican) studios in January with the creative mission to write, compose, and record an album in 8 days . . .

According to their MySpace blog, Roger, P.H., Steve, Nick, Jason Boots with his video camera, and the talented Clif Norrell (producer of Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy and No More Beautiful World) will be relocating for the week to a house in Rocky Point, Mexico, and I am excited to hear what is to come. Roger told me a near-mystical story once about how the song idea for "Leaky Little Boat," (one of my favorites) sprung unexpectedly from the fertile beaches of communal Mexico living, so let's hope that same inspiration is present come January. Read Roger's latest story of white-knuckled traffic travails and the details on the album here.

۞ New tour dates announced in 2008 for Ryan Adams (and then while you're at it go over to the MySpace try and figure out WTF is going on with the Axl Rose-channeling on the streaming new Ry song "Sexual Fantasy")


۞ New tour dates announced in 2008 for the Foo Fighters (and they've got that new video for Long Road to Ruin that reminds me of the adolescent days when I used to follow General Hospital - a dark secret)


۞ The Fader Magazine has a really interesting article on New York rock in "the years to be hated" (early 2000s) and includes some cool silent black and white video footage of The Strokes shot in the style of Andy Warhol's Factory screen tests.The article talks about the Strokes in their genesis days (lower-case g), and also bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, !!!, the Rapture and DFA. The article has several punch-fantastic photographs in it, but this absolutely gorgeous photo instantly became one of my all-time favorites - that saturated hue, the skyline, that perfect time of night, all lovely and blue.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At November 28, 2007 8:38 AM, Blogger Erica said...

damn airplane recycled air, I got sick from it too!!

 
At November 28, 2007 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see othersare enjoying the latest Reznor concept, i'm poor at remixing anything, but i love the whole idea. Having a lot of fun listening to the available content so far, hell, the drum tracks are hypnotic in themselves lol.

 
At November 28, 2007 5:55 PM, Blogger bem said...

the fader. amazing photos, uneven writing. they need malcolm gladwell to tackle that subject.

 
At November 28, 2007 7:18 PM, Blogger Jason Warburg said...

Nice post Heather, with one exception: you must promise to never again publish even the second-hand suggestion that anyone might remake Almost Famous. Perfection must not be altered! ;-)

 
At November 28, 2007 7:22 PM, Blogger heather said...

yes Jason, noted and I am inclined to agree -- but it was such a nice way of describing the feel of the song that I couldn't resist. :)

 
At November 29, 2007 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Woody Allen say that in one of his movies?

I'm sure I head that before.

Steve L.

 
At November 29, 2007 8:48 PM, Blogger heather said...

Yes, it's Woody Allen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter