I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Ben Kweller: meeting all your cover band needs

In addition to being a writer & performer of catchy tunes that still feel substantial, possessing a fantastic sense of humor, and being multi-talented enough to make stellar albums wherein he plays all the instruments himself, indie rocker Ben Kweller also loves himself some covers.

One of my readers Katie saw BK last weekend (8/5) in Atlanta and captured this feel-good cover medley: "La Bamba," "Twist and Shout," and a spot on cover of Weezer's "Sweater Song," even effectively capturing the banal banter between verses, customized for the occasion. It's kitschy fun; you kinda wish he'd play your school dance.


[direct link]

I'm mostly just impressed that he knows all the words to "La Bamba." Even though I am generally a lyrical conquistadora, that's one you'll catch me mumbling on.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At August 08, 2007 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He played at my college during homecoming and asked us if we wanted to hear any songs. Some ass yelled out "Freebird" and "Back In Black". I think he actually played a bit of "Back in black" before he went into a cover of the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows".

 
At August 08, 2007 10:10 PM, Blogger matt said...

This sense of play doesn't surprise me at all. I saw Ben in Chicago in July. He dedicated a song to a couple's anniversary, but halfway through the song had to stop to talk about the ant that was crawling on his hand. Hooray for Kweller.

 
At August 09, 2007 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get a ride?

 
At August 09, 2007 9:20 AM, Blogger Katie D. said...

thanks for the nod :)

though you'd be interested in checking out mental floss's blog on grunge rock's greatest videos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter