I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Marylin "Bubbie" Kweller steals the show




This is the absolutely fantastic new homemade video from Ben Kweller for one of the best songs on his self-titled album from last year, "Penny On The Train Track."

Ben shot this footage of his 82-year-old grandmother in the gym of her condominium. Admittedly it is a bit one-dimensional, but dang hard not to like. Watch as she dances around to his song as it plays on the circa-1986 boom box, swirling, kicking, rocking the workout wear, and even joined by a friend in the middle for some old-lady-dance-party action.

Gotta laugh out loud -- her moves are priceless, her emoting the finest (favorite part: her moves to the line, "He is in the yard just a-washin' the car, thinkin' bout his pretty wife"). Also, the snippet of conversation at the end between Ben and his gramma is heartwarming -- Ben is a great, great guy (who gives affectionate sweaty hugs). This video shows the expressionistic and supportive family he must come from, and I liked that a lot.

SOME RELATED TUNES:
Ben Kweller, live in Toronto
March 5, 2007
courtesy Live Music Archive

Walk On Me
Family Tree
I Gotta Move
Make It Up
I Need You Back
I Dont Know Why
Run
Different But The Same
Living Life
Hospital Bed
On My Way
Chug-A-Lug (Roger Miller cover)
The Rules
Sundress
Red Eye
Penny On The Train Track

Labels:

9 Comments:

At March 11, 2007 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is freaking brilliant! Makes me miss my grandmother.

 
At March 11, 2007 5:31 PM, Blogger c said...

love it.

 
At March 12, 2007 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna see Ben Kweller Friday the 16th, he's playing the local Washington DC radio station St. Patty event, with Carbon Leaf!

 
At March 12, 2007 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!!! Now we know where Howie gets his good looks! Way to go Ben!

 
At March 12, 2007 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Now we know where Howie gets his good looks!"


what can I say............!!!?
55 and still alive.......
be like me, vote daily!!!

http://www.mtv.com/#/ontv/dyn/trl/TRLvoting.jhtml

Howie

 
At March 12, 2007 6:07 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I think a post where you consolidate all the pictures of you with the rock stars is in order.

 
At March 13, 2007 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love ya moves Grannie Kweller!! :)

 
At March 13, 2007 1:12 PM, Blogger paco said...

Ben is my hero. He had fun and so did his granmother. I loved the little bit at the end between the two of them. his cover of ice, ice baby is one of my faves.

 
At March 18, 2007 11:34 AM, Blogger 4indie said...

i thought i let you know that Ben Kweller “Penny on a train track” is being featured on mtvU’s the leak:
http://www.mtvu.com/music/leak_week/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter