I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Eddie Vedder @ the Kokua Festival this weekend

Eddie and Boom Gaspar played the Kokua Music Festival in Hawaii this weekend with Jack Johnson. By all accounts, it was pretty rad.

I am sitting here ripping audio from the streaming webcast up right now on the Kokua Festival MySpace: www.myspace.com/kokuafestival. Currently they are playing highlights from Saturday night on loop (and loop, and loop) -- tonight's is supposed to air live soon or so we thought. Looks like it was just Jack's set streaming from Saturday with Eddie dropping in.

It's almost as good as being there . . .


AUDIO:
Breakdown - Jack Johnson & Zach Gill from ALO
No Eddie, but I started recording because I saw the ukulele, and then it was such a truly lovely rendition that I'm sharing here

Soon Forget - Eddie Vedder & Jack Johnson
Ooh, they botch this one so bad...stopped in the middle -- then where to pick up again?

Constellations - Jack Johnson & Eddie Vedder
...with a Hawaiian guy whose name I didn't catch yet. Absolutely stunning and gorgeous with flawless harmonies. Hands down, best of the night that I heard.

I Shall Be Released (Dylan cover) - The whole gang
Grand finale. On the verses we've got Jack Johnson, Zach Gill from ALO, then Eddie taking the last verse. Boom Gaspar and Zach are on keys and various other dudes on percussion, etc (couldn't tell from the video, sorry!)


SATURDAY setlist (Ed & Boom)
Throw Your Arms Around Me (!!!!!!!!!!!)
Don't Be Shy
No More War (new, Ed said he wrote it 3 days ago)
Indifference
I Am Mine (!!)
Betterman/People Have the Power tag
Jack Johnson came out here but the person isn't sure of the song
Corduroy w/Jack Johnson
Elderly Woman w/Jack Johnson
So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star

As linked above, Eddie joined Jack Johnson for:
Soon Forget
Constellations (with Hawaiian guy, I'll get his name!)
I Shall Be Released


New song from Eddie on Saturday night, "No More War":



No More War - Eddie Vedder

SUNDAY setlist (Eddie & Boom)
Hide Your Love Away (started twice for some reason)
Driftin (Oops - Ed screwed this up, started sucking/blowing on the microphone instead of the harmonica)
I Am Mine
No More (the new song, this time with a full band)
Throw Your Hatred Down (full band)
Wasted Reprise
Hawaii 78 (full band)
Betterman (full band, riff on the Ramones "i wanna be your boyfriend" -- Hey mother earth, i wanna be your boyfriend)
Warch Outside (with full band, jack johnson on bass)
Corduroy (full band with jack johnson on bass)
Elderly Woman (full band, jack johnson on bass and dueling vocals)
Indifference (full band)

note from the poster: "2 things to keep in mind. this is all from memory, so the order may be wrong or i may have missed a song. and when i say full band i obviously don't mean pearl jam, i mean the guys he played with last night."


A few good articles from the weekend:


Interview with Eddie in the Honolulu Advertiser: Vedder rocking in a magical place

Star Bulletin feature on native Hawaiian Boom Gaspar: Way to go Boom! Local guy plays with Eddie Vedder at Kokua Festival

Bonus re-up: Remember last time PJ was in Hawaii?



Hey, guess where I got that picture from? Yeah, that's right: Getty Images. There's several good shots from last night up there now.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At April 22, 2007 11:03 PM, Blogger Lori Denine and her cat said...

Great footage here...I decided to hike Pensacola Beach for Earth Day and completely forgot to be back in time for the myspace thing. Anyhow...I loved this of course. Jack Johnson is so very good along with Ed of course.

Were I am right now, there seems to be no Ed fans, even my roommate who loves folk music and such. I played this stuff and he still had a nasty comment with the video of Ed.

"Some people will do anything for a buck" he says...

Mean People Suck!

 
At April 23, 2007 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather - if you get the full audio of Ed's set can you post? It doesn't look like anyone on the Red Mosquito board has it (which is weird). Thanks, Steven

 
At April 23, 2007 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fuck! i need:
-throw your arms around me
-don't be shy
-2d version of no more war (or better 1st one)
-watch outside

thx,
Alex

 
At April 24, 2007 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right on both days set lists as I was there. Unbelievable show, the only one that you didn't post, because you said you didn't know was Saturday when Jack came on stage for the first time, he strapped on the bass, and they went into I watch out side (for the surfers). Funny, the first day Jack messed up pretty bad on a couple of songs, totally forgot the lyrics for elderly lady behind a counter and then called eddie out on stage towards the end. Eddie came out with a smoke and beer in his hand, whispered (dude, you said you would give me at least 3 more songs, I have a funcking smoke to smoke and a beer into Jacks ear) then he gave him the finger as he walked away. It was pretty funny. Also when eddie came back out he claimed that he just ran to the library and was holding a small box of books, well he had about 12 Kurt Vonnegut, Bluebeard books which he hopped down into the audience (front row) and started to give out, really really rad. And thank my lucky stars I was blessed enough to get one, As I Eddie was walking toward my section up front he only had one book left and I just yelled "Seattle" to get his attention, don't know why but its what came to mind, he looked up at me in my eyes smiled and gave me the book. It is signed by him on the front cover saying "Viva Vonnegut, Eddie Vedder and also signed by Jack saying "Aloha, Jack Johnson.
On a side note, sunday's show was better Hawaii 78 was Amazing!!!! but he didnt hand out any more books on Sunday.

 
At April 24, 2007 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. It would have been so awesome to be there, but I really enjoyed these songs! Thanks!

 
At April 24, 2007 9:09 PM, Blogger The Hensons said...

I would KILL for the Elderly Woman version.

Maybe not kill, but maim.

Maybe not maim, but stomp on toes, definitely. Maybe.

 
At April 24, 2007 9:24 PM, Blogger heather said...

John, I'll save you the maiming - there was a video clip on YouTube last time I checked -

:)

 
At April 30, 2007 8:53 AM, Blogger sean broom said...

Heather--

One thing I'm looking for, and I figure if anyone has it you do.

Bear with me as I know very little about it. Late 2001, early 2002, Pearl Jam played a concert that was televised on MTV/VH1 with Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn's son/nephew guesting on a few tracks.

1.Do you have any of these?
1a. If not, know where I can find them?
1b. If yes, could you post them?

2. Thanks!

Sean

 
At May 29, 2007 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know where I can find the full concert recording? I was there and the show was unbelievable with jack and eddie. There voices sound so great together.

 
At May 30, 2007 10:34 PM, Blogger lbc said...

sb, if you didn't already find it, check out this video. It's from the Dead Man Walking concert in 1998 in L.A. which i believe is the last collaboration between Ed and the Khan clan.

Others should check out the www.bodyofwar.com. The trailer for the movie is really powerful.

 
At November 16, 2007 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEAA MAN WALKING SONDTRACK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter