I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Pete Yorn endorses your blog choice

Saw Pete Yorn on Friday night for what I thought was fantastic show with a full band backing (and if you squint and cross your eyes, you can see me in the audience, just three blurry heads to the left of Joe Kennedy's shoulder). Instead of the "acoustic" setting of the You and Me Tour last year, this was a loud and spirited affair with all the members of Minibar on stage (and at the end, the guy from Aqualung rattling his tambourine). This freed Pete up to do some heartwarmingly not-smooth dance moves while singing. We love you Pete.

Everyone was in fine spirits (and enjoying fine spirits), and Pete was animated and friendly. From the opening beats of 'Black,' the guys played a superb setlist, although it was shorter than I liked (having to sit through three opening bands. Yes, three). Highlights for me were a gospel-ly rockin' version of 'Golden Road' that was very different from the Westerns EP, as well as a fun singalong cover of the Stones' 'Dead Flowers.' I debated bringing my camera in and recording that for you since I knew he's been adding it to the shows lately, but I decided to go bulkfree and not lug it. So here's another few guys I like covering it instead...

Dead Flowers - Willie Nelson, Ryan Adams, Hank Williams III, and Keith Richards

The encore ended with a soaring (as usual) version of Crystal Village that made everyone want to kind of drape their arms around their neighbor. Okay, well maybe only me. But those lyrics: "Take my hand, come with me, I see the lights so brightly, and we'll fall as if we never really mattered. . ." It's a fantastic song, rips off Wilco. That's okay.

Crystal Village (live in Jersey) - Pete Yorn

After the show, I talked for a few minutes with Pete, and the first thing he said (if I may lapse into a bit of restrained girlish squealing) is that he liked my blog, that I did a good job with it. So hoo-WAH! Straight from the horse's mouth. Do catch this tour if you can -- they've still lots of shows to go, and are sounding great.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At February 26, 2007 8:34 AM, Blogger -tom said...

Pretty nice knowing Pete Yorn's a regular reader. Very cool!



p.s. "Dead Flowers"

 
At February 26, 2007 9:01 AM, Blogger heather said...

You KNOW I knew that. :)
I think I had Cold Roses on the brain from the Ryan Adams mention....

 
At February 26, 2007 6:34 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

wasnt it a great show? I saw him play 2 out of the last 4 (!) times he has in been in Austin in the past 6 months and the last time was simply wonderful.

side note: are you coming to SXSW this year?

 
At February 27, 2007 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get to see him tomorrow in Indy!!! YEAH!!!

 
At March 01, 2007 9:59 AM, Blogger Justin B. said...

So where exactly did this "Dead Flowers" cover come from? It's INCREDIBLE. When were all of these guys in the same room together? Had I witnessed that, I think I might have exploded from excitement.

 
At March 15, 2007 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minbar kicks ass

 
At March 19, 2007 8:01 AM, Blogger heather said...

Hey Justin, it's from this 2002 Willie Nelson CD - Stars and Guitars out on Lost Highway. Some other great artists on there too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter