I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, January 11, 2007

New Noise Pop Festival confirmations & NEW Contest

The 15th annual Noise Pop Festival takes over the city by the bay (San Francisco) February 27 to March 4th. They've just announced some new confirmations to an already stellar lineup, bringing the current list of performers to:

Roky Erickson and The Explosives
The Ponys
The Dandy Warhols
Jolie Holland
The Donnas
Sebadoh
Ted Leo And The Pharmacists
Josh Ritter
Autolux
Richard Swift
Earlimart
Ghostland Observatory
Midlake
Hella
Vic Chesnutt
Lyrics Born
John Vanderslice
Spinto Band
Clinic


FULL SCHEDULE HERE

I am hoping to possibly come out for Noise Pop: My sister just got a job at Stanford and will surely need some help unpacking and getting settled and what better way to get settled than to see a bunch of awesome shows! Logical.

I wrote about Peter Ellenby's new book of rock photography, Every Day Is Saturday. I got the book for Christmas and I can categorically say that is awesome, one of the most interesting books I've read in a while.


The photographs open new ways of seeing bands I thought I knew, give insight into the artists pictured, and illuminate the vibrant music scene that comes from and passes through the San Francisco area.

The commentary accompanying the photographs, by author Christopher Slater, is top notch -- taking you behind the scenes of the pictures in the book in a very engaging fashion, and filling in the reader on the music world in San Francisco for the last 15 years. The segments documenting the rise of the Noise Pop festival, and Peter Ellenby's role as un/official Noise Pop photographer, are required reading. Here's an excerpt:

Noise Pop and the success of Ellenby's photographs opened up a much larger world for him, both professionally and personally:

"I really met a whole lot of people. We had so much fun doing this thing [the early Noise Pop festivals]. I mean, it was totally exhausting, but it was the catalyst. I realized, this is exactly what I want to be doing. Going to the shows, seeing amazing bands, finding new amazing bands, meeting new amazing people, meeting my wife. It's not just about music and photography -- it's about friendship and all this other stuff.

And it all started that weekend. I think it was four days. You know, like when you hear a song and say, 'I've been waiting for this song forever.' Or when you meet your soulmate, it's like, 'This is what I love.' It's so great to finally find that."

That beautiful passion comes through in this book, and frankly made me want to pick up a camera and learn how the heck to use it.

After seeing the faces of all these bands that I somehow missed and never heard, I also found myself curious about their music -- then I remembered that the book comes with a sampler CD of just that, tucked in the back. Fantastic soundtrack for a second reading.

If you'd like to check it out yourself, I have one extra copy of the book and CD to give away, thanks to a shipping snafu from Amazon. I don't usually run two contests at once, but since I am closing up that Lucinda contest on Friday (great entries, folks), I figured we'd start this one up.

CONTEST:
To win the Peter Ellenby photography book, leave me a comment with a link to view your favorite concert photo on the web. Doesn't have to be one you took, but you can upload your own if that's your choice. For example, mine would be this.

A little tricky of a contest, I know, but I hope to get some good visual responses. Also make sure I have a way to contact you if you want to win. I'll run this through next Thursday (Jan 18). Oh, and since I have to pay for shipping this one myself, only US peeps can win. Sorry, my lovely and respected international brethren.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At January 11, 2007 11:22 AM, Blogger -tom said...

I'm going to break your rules a bit and give you two.

1, There's a girl out of NYC named Alyssa Scheinson who is phenomenal.
Here is one of my favorites of hers, an excellent photo of PJ Harvey at Hammerstein Ballroom.

http://alyssasgallery.com/bands/pj_harvey/images/prevs/01.jpg

her website
http://alyssasgallery.com

2. One of my favorite recent in concert shots of me.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/58/166726194_f00409e736_o.jpg

 
At January 11, 2007 11:26 AM, Blogger -tom said...

oops too long sorry try these:

1. http://tinylink.com/?wC5wnQvOM1
2. http://tinylink.com/?8Xv1ENei9q

 
At January 11, 2007 12:00 PM, Blogger Ledbelly said...

i as well want to do two... if that's okay? yes? i hope so.

First PJ as well (p.s- i have your fav pic on a huge poster haning in my room).

http://florentpoirier.hautetfort.com/images/medium_pearl_jam_live_2.jpg

Why? - i can just here vedder belting out evenflow, or alive on their early tour pic, raw energy is what pj was in those days and this pic captures it so well. That and when i was younger my brother bought me the Ten guitar tab book and this was on the inside and i remember staring at it thinking "this is F'in Rock n' roll!


Two... (?) http://www.bt.no/multimedia/archive/00068/my_morning_jacket_qu_68705a.jpg

all i have to say is. thank god jim jamies is such a crazy bastard.

 
At January 11, 2007 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one of Sufjan taken by me:

http://babygotbooks.com/sufjan3.jpg

 
At January 11, 2007 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my choice: http://fusionanomaly.net/clashfullthrottle.jpg
I think the name of the file says it all.

 
At January 11, 2007 2:56 PM, Blogger THE MERKIN MAN said...

I think mine is the same as yours. I thought of that image before I clicked the link. A friend of mine used to have the poster.

It reminds me of the first time I saw PJ. It was in 1992, and I went not even knowing who they were.

 
At January 11, 2007 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then there's Johnny giving you the finger:

rocklibrary.com/Library/image.aspx?id=2328

 
At January 11, 2007 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.thefirestillburns.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core%3AShowItem&g2_itemId=51

Just a great shot of a Jersey Punk band...The Fire Still Burns.
Pure energy in concert...
Pure rock and roll picture as well...
Point to the guitarist...and rock!
-ED
ESINAWA@JUNO.COM

 
At January 11, 2007 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely this one. It perfectly captures the essence of a Springsteen show.

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/art/liveImage.jpg

pcauvel@rochester.rr.com

 
At January 11, 2007 4:01 PM, Blogger heather said...

Peter, thanks for the Springsteen picture; that's insane. I can't imagine being in that position, with so many people below you in adoration.

 
At January 11, 2007 8:35 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Neither of these are of a musician, but hey... here's some fun stuff from Atlanta last year:

1. Girl in crowd at Drunken Unicorn when The Spooks came to town.

2. Saspirilla the Singing Gorilla and other spectators watch skateboard wackiness at Corndogorama in June.

Both by Alex Adan.

We have lots of good times here in ATL. :)

 
At January 12, 2007 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's pete yorn opening for rem when I saw them three years ago (the blog I got this one actually references here:http://philm25.blogspot.com/2006_05_01_philm25_archive.html)
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1886/2352/1600/YORN_9.jpg

email:californiarocks7@aol.com

 
At January 12, 2007 10:06 AM, Blogger heather said...

Yes, Phil Marino's pictures (of Pete Yorn and in general) are awesome. Thanks for that!

 
At January 12, 2007 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.citypages.com/databank/24/1187/article11480.asp

tommy stinson jumping off the stage at 1st ave. vintage 'mats.
article is a good read, too.

paulwestymats@comcast.net

 
At January 15, 2007 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy Bragg, 42nd st, NYC, 1984

one of my favorites; Billy Bragg reaching to the masses on 42nd st New York City, oddly enough on 9/11, 1984. This is sort of the opposite of the Springsteen shot. It's music stripped down to it's essential elements; just a bloke, his guitar and something important to say. Obviously love the quizzical looks from the passers by, and the way Billy is looking up at the sky. It takes courage to put yourself out there!

-Slush

srslush@yahoo.com

 
At January 15, 2007 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Repost with working link (forgot to include the full link, doh)

42nd Street, New York, NY, USA

Billy Bragg, 42nd st, NYC, 1984

one of my favorites; Billy Bragg reaching to the masses on 42nd st New York City, oddly enough on 9/11, 1984. This is sort of the opposite of the Springsteen shot. It's music stripped down to it's essential elements; just a bloke, his guitar and something important to say. Obviously love the quizzical looks from the passers by, and the way Billy is looking up at the sky. It takes courage to put yourself out there!

srslush@yahoo.com

 
At January 16, 2007 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright.

After much much much deliberation (and drool), I have a link for you, m'dear.

http://www.stunphoto.plus.com/live/livepage14.htm

The Vines.
Lookin' quite holy, if you will - and yet, somehow, very rocker-out-of-hell at the same time. Gorgeous, intense, loud, silent.
Perfection.

-Mary
(crookmp@jmu.edu)

 
At January 18, 2007 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this image is just one of the most powerful "visual" memories I have of a musical moment. this is from u2's halftime show at the superbowl after 9.11...
http://www.september11news.com/Feb3_FlagU2BonoJacketSuperBowl.jpg
is the image i remember, where bono opens his jacket to show the american flag...
this visual is a close second..

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/2/2e/250px-U2_Super_Bowl.jpg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter