I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Gift book idea for the cool kid on your list: Every Day Is Saturday

Here's something my coffee table lacks this Christmas: A new book of photography by San Francisco's Peter Ellenby called Every Day is Saturday, documenting the meteorical rise and rocking shows of many artists within the "indie rock scene." Considering it is accompanied by a mix CD (with folks like Grandaddy, Death Cab for Cutie, American Music Club, Rogue Wave, The Wedding Present, and many of the other bands featured in the book) it's available for a mere pittance at $17.

I mentioned Ellenby a few months ago because of his fine photographic coverage of the Rogue Wave benefit concert in SF that you may remember me talking up, and I like what I've seen of his work -- his eye for a good shot. I love rock photography, and how could I personally not adore a rock photographer who says that "his favorite places in the world are the top of Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh and Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco"?

Some of the folks he's photographed that appear in this book are: Beastie Boys, Bob Mould, Bright Eyes, The Donnas, Earlimart, The Fastbacks, The Flaming Lips, The Foo Fighters, Ivy, John Lee Hooker, John Vanderslice (bottom), Les Claypool, Matt Nathanson, Mike Watt (left), Modest Mouse, Nada Surf, Neko Case, Red House Painters, Sebadoh and more . . .

Also contributing to the book were John Doe (from the band X) and Tim Scanlin (remember Addicted To Noise?), and a fine SF writer named Christopher Slater. When I first read it I thought it said Christian Slater and I was gonna get excited and go all Pump Up The Volume on you. But it's actually not him. Worthy nonetheless.

BUY THE BOOK

BE FRIENDS WITH THE BOOK

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At December 20, 2006 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy s#$t! The picture of Kim Shattuck dominating the cover is definately rom my first Muffs show ever at the Filmore. Distinctly remember her proudly displaying the hole she ripped in the ass of that dress

 
At December 21, 2006 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Know a certain Blogger that will be getting this book before Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter