I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Paolo Nutini: Live in LA, 9-13-06

I was trying on verylong shirts at Old Navy this weekend (why is everything about 17 inches too long this season? I object.) and, as you may have experienced, the soundtracking in that store can vary from "Omigosh I love this song" to "Help me leap over this rack of embroidered jeans to escape as quickly as possible before my ears start bleeding."

Luckily when I was in there I was enjoying dancing a little in the fitting room to the sounds of Paolo Nutini, who I've written about once before here, but hadn't had the pleasure of hearing loudly over a store speaker system yet.

The song on the Old Navy rotation is "Jenny Don't Be Hasty" and I admit that he sounds so catchy and adorable with that accent that *I* almost want to marry him (even though he's only like 18, as he laments to his older-woman crush in the song). Paolo is a Scot with Italian heritage, hence the Mediterranean name. His sound is sort of an acoustic-new wave with retro tinges, very enjoyable.

According to a recent blurb in Rolling Stone, after Nutini opened for the Rolling Stones in Vienna, he recounts: "I met the guys afterwards, and we had a chat. Mick thought I was Italian. When I told him I was Scottish, he laughed and said, 'If I'd known you were Scottish, I wouldn't have booked ya here!'"

Nutini is getting notice from my UK readers, who keep telling me to check him out (his upcoming UK tour is largely sold out already). This acoustic show from last month at Los Angeles' Hotel Cafe is the perfect chance for you to do just that.

Also, Nutini's Live Sessions EP is now available in the U.S. (iTunes, thinkindie and monitorthis).


PAOLO NUTINI
Sept 13, 2006
Hotel Cafe in Los Angeles

(re-upped 11/11/06)

01. "Alloway Grove"
02. "Rewind"
03. "Day Dream" (Lovin' Spoonful cover)
04. "New Shoes"
05. "These Streets"
06. "January"
07. "Million Faces"
08. "Last Request"
09. "Loving You"
10. "Jenny Don't Be Hasty"

PAOLO NUTINI 09-13-06, ZIP FILE

Thanks to Cherbonsy for taping, uploading this and other great shows, and notifying me. His review of this show is here.

16 Comments:

At October 11, 2006 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Paolo. The second greatest thing to come out of Paisley - after myself of course. As a fellow Italian-by-descent, I'd feel an affinity with him even if he wasn't from my town - and without that voice, which you keep having to remind yourself comes from somebody so young.

 
At October 11, 2006 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you were married?
Is the position opening up?

 
At October 11, 2006 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much, this will hold me over until he comes back to the States (hopefully soon!)

 
At October 11, 2006 3:30 PM, Blogger heather said...

Nope, anonymous. Appreciate your concern, but the position is currently filled. I'm just sayin' - it's from the lyrics to the song (and in a parallel universe...well, he's a winsome one).

 
At October 11, 2006 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

His album "These Streets" was released in Canada last week, and I just received the two copies I ordered from http://ww.amazon.ca in the mail. It's tremendous.

 
At October 11, 2006 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoops, missed a "w" in the url there... the full url is http://www.amazon.ca/These-Streets-Paolo-Nutini/dp/B000FVGMC4/sr=8-1/qid=1160628079/ref=pd_bbs_1/701-3592997-7488349?ie=UTF8.

 
At October 12, 2006 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's great. I'm going to see him in Cardiff Student Union on his UK tour in November. . .can't wait!

 
At October 12, 2006 11:37 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Thanks Heather,
I'm loving his debut even more than last month when I recived it in the mail.
You also might want to check out James Morrison, another UK singer/songwriter topping the charts across the pond.

 
At November 06, 2006 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

any way to reupload this? I dled them and then I put them into my player and they were all 7 seconds by Matthias Aiebi called Transfer Limit.

 
At November 07, 2006 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you please please repost the live mp3s? I missed them too, I saw him live yesterday in paris and it was awesome, he coverd gnarls barkley crazy... please please reupload the files please!!!!

 
At November 11, 2006 1:19 PM, Blogger heather said...

Okay! All re-upped.

 
At November 22, 2006 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanx a lot!!! that's really nice of you!!! I love his voice! thank you so much

 
At January 15, 2007 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always too late with these things... He was performing in Amsterdam yesterday, great show. Too bad he was totally stoned (but then again, which artist insn't when visiting our lovely little country?), but it didn't do the performance any harm luckily. He just almost tripped a couple of times, hehe. :D

 
At April 08, 2007 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mp3 links are down again... :(
Could you please re-up them or send them to me thru e-mail? salboy3@hotmail.com
thx so much for your blog
Sal

 
At April 26, 2007 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible to re-up this show again if you have time? I've enjoyed the other shows (specifically Ryan Adams). Thanks.

 
At April 26, 2007 8:19 AM, Blogger heather said...

Hey guys, there was some dissent among his label for posting those live tracks, so they are down until further notice (I kinda doubt I'll put them back up)....

Sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter