I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, September 04, 2006

Monday Music Roundup

I am sad about the news this morning that Steve Irwin ("Crocodile Hunter") apparently died today in Australia while on a dive. Stingray strike to the heart. That sucks, although I can't say I am surprised. Everytime we would watch Crocodile Hunter, I would shake my head at the insane stuff he would do, and comment that that was how he was going to die someday. I appreciated his childlike joy at the rad animals he would work with, but he'd always mess with the animals, and be like, "Crikey! She's a beaut! Now I'm going to stick my finger in her butthole! Wow! She's a feisty one!"

So, I guess in a way we can't be surprised. But it sucks that he leaves behind a wife and a kid. Here's to hoping he goes somewhere with lots of wild animals he can frolick with all day long, with no fear of bodily harm. Cheers, mate.


"I Ain't Saying She's Better Than You"
Donovan Woods
This is a slip of song, just a lovely acoustic guitar and eviscerating lyrics from Donovan Woods, a Canadian artist. As many times as I have listened to this song over the last few days, it makes me ache -- and I have never even had someone say words like this to me: "Like all your men set in the past, it's better to leave without being asked / So tell me again you'll let me go, without saying things you already know / Like it's over, and you don't know her / But let me tell you honestly: I ain't sayin' she's better than you, you see. She's just better than you for me." He tries to make it sound nice but that's just guttingly harsh. But it's a really lovely song, oddly enough.

His music is a bit hard to track down, but he has a MySpace and a label, and this is from his EP The Hold Up. Not that appearances matter, but he looks more like he'd come by to fix your plumbing, or drink PBR with you while you watch football, rather than spin these bittersweet melodies. (thx again Clea)


"These Streets"
(live from Bush Studios)

Paolo Nutini
I'd heard about this fella at the Boulder music conference -- you know when you hear straight men talking enthusiastically about how good looking another guy is, he must really be something. I missed his live performance, which apparently was quite impressive, but did pick up a live EP which has pleasantly introduced me to his retro-tinged rootsy pop sound. Despite a name that is fully Italian, one listen to Paolo Nutini and it's clear he is a Scottish chap, and he's only 19 at that. "Feel good" is an overused descriptor, but it is impossible to listen to this without feeling happy, an excellent end-of-the-summer tune. His album These Streets is currently only available as an import in the U.S., but cites The Drifters, Ray Charles, and Van Morrison as influences.

This single is a charming little chronicle of when he first moved to London, roaming the busy roads: "These streets have too many names for me / I'm used to Glenfield Road and spending my time down in Ochy / I'll get used to this eventually I know, I know / Life is good, and the girls are gorgeous / Suddenly the air smells much greener now . . . " Having spent a little time in London myself, it makes me smile.


"Until We Fall"
(YouSendIt link, open in new window)
Audioslave
When this song kicks off, you wouldn't think of it as Audioslave (with their Soundgarden/Rage Against The Machine past). With a bouncy Beatles-esque guitar intro, it sounds like a pop song until Chris Cornell's trademark wail kicks in. I love his voice. Love, love, love. Overall there's more of a bluesy-soulful vibe to Revelations, Audioslave's third release (out tomorrow). This track is much better than the "Original Fire" tune that was leaked, which I think is actually one of the weakest cuts on the new album. This and other tracks take more of a funky/melodic approach and I like it.


"The Rain"
Kasey Chambers
This was a new name for me, even though Kasey Chambers is loved in her native Australia and has built quite a solid grassroots following in the U.S. through extensive touring in support of her last 3 albums. Her voice has a plaintive warm and slightly warbly quality to it that reminds me strongly of Kirsten Hersh (remember "Your Ghost" with Michael Stipe?), and she is also frequently likened to Lucinda Williams for her sharp & sly lyricism. This track is from her forthcoming Carnival album (September 12, Warner). Rootsy-bluegrass with a bit of twang, but not country.


"The Boys Are Back In Town"
(Thin Lizzy cover, Dublin 8/23/06)
Pearl Jam
It's good to see Pearl Jam continuing to have fun with their covers now into the European leg of their tour. Here in the hometown of Thin Lizzy, they bust this one out to the absolute delight of the crowd. It's a fun night with Mike nailing the bombastic riffs and Vedder clearly enjoying himself and mirroring the joy of the crowd. Makes me want to tease my hair a little bit, maybe even "be on the floor shaking what she got."



One final note in the continuing quest for the perfect t-shirt (which is funny, because I don't even really wear t-shirts): Knock Knock has expanded their mission to educate the public in popular slang.

Moving forward from their radically hilarious Slang Flash Cards, now you can wear the shirt and help your peeps learn when the proper time is to use words like freak, tight, player, fly, bomb, and grill. Big ups to them for this hilarious line, one of my favorites.

Labels: , , , , ,

17 Comments:

At September 04, 2006 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is sad that Steve Irwin has died but as you said it wasn't unexpected. Sad for his family. 44 what a waste.

My Reading PJ bootleg is downloading as I type. Yay!

 
At September 04, 2006 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the story posted on MSNBC, Irwin had two kids.

 
At September 04, 2006 4:47 PM, Blogger c said...

PJ doing Thin Lizzy in Dublin. Nice.

That Croc Hunter guy was crazy. I would bet that those in the afterlife will likely be impressed by how he went out. - "How'd you die, bro?" - "Stingray barb to the heart, mate." - "Rad."

 
At September 04, 2006 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donovan Woods! I have 4 or 5 of his songs on my computer, and you posted my favorite of the bunch. Really, really great song.

 
At September 04, 2006 6:54 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Thanks for the heads up on Kasey Chambers. I had forgotten about her.

 
At September 04, 2006 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog the other day when I was looking for Brandi Carlile stuff...

Thanks for the reminder on the Kasey Chambers album. I've got two of her previous albums and they are great. I forgot she was releasing another one already.

 
At September 04, 2006 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious - I tried downloading the Donovan Woods and Kasey Chambers but they didn't seem to work.

Thanks anyways.

 
At September 04, 2006 10:21 PM, Blogger heather said...

EZArchive seems to be weird right now. I didn't take the files down, so try back - maybe tomorrow morning or something? Who knows. Sorry!

 
At September 04, 2006 11:02 PM, Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

Heather;
I think a nice Aussie tune would have been cool. Maybe Hoodoo Guru's? Midnite Oil?
He was a sick dude.
I heard the news on BBC the night before and I shed,(gasp)
crocodile tears (sp)...
Mick

http://thecoolstore.blogspot,com

 
At September 04, 2006 11:15 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Kasey Chambers is pretty decent - we got her last record a few years back and still listen to it occasionally. Not always in the mood for old country, but when I am, she does just fine.

 
At September 05, 2006 10:48 AM, Blogger Idaho Dad said...

Steve Irwin had a carefree attitude that I wish I could have a little bit more of myself... I admire anyone who lives life to the fullest.

 
At September 05, 2006 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

crikey!

what a great monday music roundup.... never heard of donovan wood before, but now thanks to you, he'll be in steady rotation in the ipod....

and of course, i always love a good PJ tune!

 
At September 05, 2006 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried again and this time the songs downloaded fine. Thanks!

I've been a fan of Kasey Chambers after hearing her song Pony. I'll try to check out her new album too.

 
At September 05, 2006 11:38 PM, Blogger paco said...

pj makes me tease my hair a little too, damn now i have to buy something else that you mentioned. i think i need to stop reading for a while before i go broke.

 
At September 06, 2006 7:14 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Heather, you beat me to the punch. Was going to write up on Paolo this week in my blog. I just adore his debut which I feel is going to blow up in the states when it gets released here. Now how about putting up the remaining tracks from that EP you recieved the other day. I believe they are all live tracks, no?
Kasey Chambers is huge down under, like the most popular female popstar where her discs always go #1.
I'd check out her debut, "The Captain" which I feel still is her best disc. Another reason why i adore her is her devotion to Paul Kelly (aussie legend) and his songs,has recorded and dueted with the man, etc. Bless her for getting his music out into the mainstream.

 
At September 07, 2006 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a shame about Irwin.. a shame about his family too.. unleast he was quite happy with what he had done already with his life.. but still it's sad..

PJ really seem to be having a great deal of fun don't they? :D it's great!! I went to the second Lisbon show and it was brilliant!! I would waste about 80 lines or something to try to describe how it was and it wouldn't even come near to what it really was! so let's stick with: The best ever! ;D
I've already pre-purchased the bootleg.. can't wait for them to put it online! see ya!

 
At September 09, 2006 8:48 AM, Blogger Tattoosday said...

Heather,

Thanks for the words on Audioslave. Just bought the cd through iTunes and it really rocks. I was worried after the blogosphere unanimously bashed "The Original Fire," but the record, as a whole, is great. Then again, Cornell could sing the phone book, with Morello on guitar, and it would be better than most of what's out there.

Cheers

Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter