I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, October 19, 2006

New from Brushfire Records: Brokedown Melody soundtrack

Just got word from the folks at Brushfire Records (Jack Johnson's label) that they are finally releasing the soundtrack from the 16mm surfing film A Brokedown Melody (2004). Johnson's other surf films have had very interesting, well-put-together soundtracks (see the write-up of Sprout here) so I am looking forward to hearing this one as well.

Notable 'round these parts is the inclusion of a nice little ukulele ditty with Ed Vedder which, as I recall, played over the closing credits. A friend of mine once said I'd do backflips for this but I was never able to find a version of it until recently. And I'll admit, I fairly did.

"Goodbye" - Ed Vedder
This version from 3-15-02 in Los Angeles, the first live performance

Here's the full tracklisting of the album, which includes the usual suspects (Jack Johnson, Matt Costa) and some notably interesting inclusions (M. Ward, Kings of Convenience, The Beta Band):

01. The Cave - Culver City Dub Collective
02. Breakdown (film version) - Jack Johnson
03. Know How - Kings Of Convenience
04. We Need Love - Johnny Osbourne
05. Transfiguration No. 1 - M. Ward
06. Let It Be Sung - Jack Johnson/Matt Costa/Zach Gill
07. Goodbye - Eddie Vedder
08. Needles In My Eyes - The Beta Band
09. Heart (Things Never Shared) - Doug Martsch
10. The Road - Matt Costa
11. Vuelo Al Sur (Koop Remix) - Astor Piazzolla
12. Home - Jack Johnson

It's available for pre-order now and comes out November 14, to coincide with the theatrical release of the film. Speculation is flying fast and furious that this would be the perfect song for Vedder to bust out at the Bridge School Benefit this weekend, which I am conveniently in-town to attend. I wouldn't mind hearing this one live at all.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 20, 2006 9:28 AM, Blogger ack said...

The Matt Costa solo track on this record is unreal. I bought his EP right after I heard it.

 
At October 20, 2006 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know if any of those tracks is the one from the trailer? This is really great news to hear, I've been waiting for it to come out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter