I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Let's go surfin now (everybody's learnin how)

With all this winter nonsense abounding, sometimes a gal just needs to relax and remember warmer days. Although I do not (and probably never will) surf, the soundtrack to the surfing movie Sprout is one of the best chillout soundtracks in my collection. Out on Jack Johnson's Brushfire Records label (check out Thicker Than Water & The September Sessions too), this laid-back collection features Calexico, Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions (who I blogged about recently), Superwolf (Bonnie Prince Billy & Matt Sweeney), The Shins, Sam Prekop, and others. These are two of my favorite tracks:

Two Stones In My Pocket - Neil Halstead (this song is only on the iTunes version of the album, as far as I can tell)

Got My Sunshine - Mojave 3 (also with Halstead, if you think the voice sounds slightly familiar)

You can also see the video for one of the best instrumental tracks on the album here, which completely makes me want to get a little sunburned:
Butternut video - Sprout House Band

So check out the album, eh? Feels warmer already.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At February 09, 2006 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm already a regular visit to your corner of the universe. I thought it was cool to see the Sprout soundtrack get a shoutout. That album came in the mail on the week when I moved into my current apartment on Venice Beach - I can see the ocean from my window, my neighbors were toting surfboards down the hallway... needless to say, that soundtrack got some serious speakertime. It was pretty surreal for an ol' Wisconsin boy.

 
At June 15, 2008 8:27 PM, Blogger Lakes said...

If your looking for just the individual songs from the movie (instead of the official 'soundtrack') then check out http://surfertunes.com/Surf-Video/MCF-Sprout.php Hope that helps!
-Lakes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter