I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, August 11, 2006

I'm at the corner just in time to see the BUS FLY BY

Ha ha, I'm not going back to school. Ever. But if you are or know someone who is (darn kids at 6:45am at the school across the street from my house, bells ringing, band practice, what have you) Music for Kids Who Can't Read Good has a fantastic Back-To-School Mix post that I wish I thought of. Here's the tunes Taylor selected along with his witty musings, head over to his blog to snag the downloads (and there's a few tunes from me at the end):

Mark Mothersbaugh - Hardest Geometry Problem in the World
"I'm sorry. Did someone say my name?"

Beach Boys - Be True to Your School
School spirit is so underrated, just because you're an indie kid doesn't mean you can't let your colors fly.

The La's - There She Goes
Don't ask me why, but I think this is a great back to school song. Now that we're in the Facebook era though the song should be more like "There she goes again - Her name is Mandy, she's an elementary ed major and she enjoys Jack Johnson and The Notebook"

Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater
Not quite autumn yet but this song will prepare you for its inevitable arrival.

Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
For those of you exploring the college night life but like to take long afternoon naps. Also a good song to put on for spontaneous visits to Starbucks.

Hot Chip - And I Was A Boy From School
Not only is this song about school but it will impress your hipster friends.

Paul Simon - Me and Julio Down By The School Yard
The lesson here is if your going to get it on with some guy named Julio by a school yard, make sure your mom isn't around.

Belle & Sebastian - Wrapped Up In Books
This will describe a lot of you guy's college experiences. Luckily, I'm a Mass Comm major, which means minimal book-reading and lots of watching TV (for homework).

TV Theme - Saved By The Bell
Perhaps the most accurate portrayal of high school/college ever. Oh, the memories.


To this fine list, I would add the following selections to round things out:

"Education" - Pearl Jam
(Vedder questions his education in true rock 'n' roll form)

"Chemistry" - Semisonic
(not really the kind of chemistry you are learning in class per se, but a great sly pop song with educational allusions)

"Middle School Frown" - Josh Rouse
(I am so glad that I am not in middle school anymore - or "junior high" as us old folks used to call it back then)

"Conjunction Junction" - Better Than Ezra
(A little Schoolhouse Rocks! ditty to help you remember your good grammar)

"Don't Stand So Close To Me ('86)" - The Police
(a nod to those of us who ever had a completely inappropriate crush on a hot teacher)


And the audio from the BEST CHRIS FARLEY SKIT EVER:

"Lunch Lady Land" - Adam Sandler singing, picture Chris Farley twirling

Labels:

4 Comments:

At August 11, 2006 11:17 PM, Blogger Ryan Spaulding said...

the lunch lady - classic!

 
At August 12, 2006 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NIce rare PJ song!

 
At August 12, 2006 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They still used Schoolhouse Rock to teach us kiddies grammar in jr.high. Yay for Conjunction Junction!

 
At August 13, 2006 9:24 PM, Blogger Natsthename said...

I sooooo love Lunch Lady Land! Man, Adam Sandler was the shite when he was on SNL, wasn't he?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter