I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Dun dun, duhdun (that's the Mission Impossible theme song, don't ya know)

So I finally got to see Tom Cruise save the world (and his Katie-Holmes-lookalike movie wife) in Mission Impossible 3 last night, and I actually thought it was a quite good effort by J.J. Abrams. Dizzying stunts & cool face-duplicating effects, awesome long-shot cinematography, and whole delicious scenes running amok throughout the Vatican and some awesome halls of art.

Since I can't just GO to a movie without dissecting the soundtrack, well, you know where this is heading. There is something so good about certain movie theme songs. You kind of forget that you know them, but as soon as they cue up, you realize how deeply embedded in your subconscious they are.

"Mission Impossible" (classic) - Lalo Schifrin

ADDITION:
"Mission Impossible Theme" - U2 (Larry Mullen, Jr. and Adam Clayton)


It said in the credits that Kanye West and Jon Brion collaborated on one of the versions of the Mission: Impossible theme, but I can't find it. Anyone know if it is any good? (Not talkin' the Kanye disaster "Impossible" here).

And there are two others that make me feel like a kid inside whenever I hear them. Didn't know the same guy did both (and apparently a lot more) until recently:

"Raiders of the Lost Ark - Raiders March" (aka The Indiana Jones song) - John Williams

"Superman Theme" - John Williams

Michael Giacchino was the movie music guy for MI3 and somehow they got hip to that GREAT Black Crowes Christmas single, Back Door Santa, that the Crowes posted on their fanboards this past December. As far as I can tell, it has not been released in any official way, but there it was in the movie, during the engagement party scene (not at Christmastime, but who listens to the lyrics anyways?). I was very pleased, it is a killer swaggering tune:

"Back Door Santa" - The Black Crowes

I went to the movie with my Dad, who still likes to take each of us kids out on what we have always called Daddy Dates since the beginning of time. It's been, sheesh, at least a year or so since we've gone on one. As I pulled out of the garage at home, my husband yelled from under the car he is restoring (in a laughing way), "Tell your dad he'd better pay!" He did. Popcorn too, even! The large - no skimping here. If we're gonna die of coronaries from all the butter, we're gonna do it together, gosh darn it.

After I dropped my dad back off after the movie and drove off down the street, I smiled to myself and realized that no matter how old you get, there is still something really good about knowing that your Dad loves you.

11 Comments:

At June 03, 2006 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tunes. Great taste in soundtracks!

... I just took my daughter (3) on a daddy date today. Our second. I look forward to several decades more myself ...

 
At June 03, 2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Gamer C. said...

Hey Heather, do you mind if I use your Superman theme for my blog? I promise to only have it for a short while (So I won't kill your bandwidth.)

The Kayne West MI3 song (Not Impossible by Twista and Keyshia Coles) sounds just like the 1995 U2 theme except it has a hip-hop (And somewhat a orchestra) sound to it. Nothing special in my opinion. I heard it on Yahoo music about a month ago. The song Impossible is only availble through i-Tunes (But you know there is other ways of getting it :)

I went with my sister and mother to see MI3. It was a cool family activity and enjoyed having them.

 
At June 03, 2006 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have just made an 11-year-old Wisconsin boy's day! Evan will dig these.

 
At June 04, 2006 12:37 AM, Blogger F.J. Delgado said...

I agree with your take on the movie... I was pleasantly surprised especially since I was so disappointed by M:I2.

 
At June 04, 2006 6:19 AM, Blogger 52X Max said...

hey, this is a really cool blog

 
At June 04, 2006 6:47 AM, Blogger Ashley Russell said...

Thanks for the M:I theme tune, oh what a classic. Well done on the blog it is fantastic.

 
At June 04, 2006 11:19 PM, Blogger Dainon. said...

Okay, so that Santa song ends up sounding uncannily like Jonny Lang. I'm not saying it is him, but if it isn't, someone's copying someone else's style.

 
At June 04, 2006 11:21 PM, Blogger heather said...

I am pretty sure it is a cover of an old blues/R&B song, and it sounds pretty straight-up Crowes to me, but interesting observation.

 
At June 05, 2006 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back Door Santa is a cover of a Clarence Carter song. You should check it out. The dude can wail on the axe.

 
At October 11, 2006 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the othher oldie rythmic song at the engagement party?

 
At August 09, 2007 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That song is: The Emotions - Best of my love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter