I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ron Sexsmith & Chris Martin


Thanks to Mike over at Sweet Static, I've got this lovely track to share with y'all:

Recently Chris Martin of Coldplay was forbidden again (by his label EMI) to release a track which he has supplied guest vocals on (this time with Nelly Furtado, previously with Mike Skinner & The Streets), after it was previewed for journalists and everything.

But back in 2002, he did supply some really lovely vocals on the closing track of roots/pop artist Ron Sexsmith's album Cobblestone Runway. I was laughing with Mike about how I had never given Sexsmith a listen, perhaps in part due to his last name which sounds a bit Gary Glitter-esque to me. Mike admitted that he had gotten teased a few times for wearing the t-shirt.

I say just tell people that it is your craft. Others may be woodsmiths, or metalsmiths. There's someone out there who can call himself a Sexsmith, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

"Gold In Them Hills" (original version) - Ron Sexsmith

"Gold In Them Hills" (remix version, featuring Chris Martin) - Ron Sexsmith


Wow, was I missing out not listening to this guy! How gorgeous is that song? Piano, lush strings, and a beautiful melody. He's all over eMusic, I might have to spend some time with that.


BONUS: New song from Ron's upcoming album Time Being, released this week in Europe & Canada, later in the States/Australia -

"All In Good Time" - Ron Sexsmith

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At May 16, 2006 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron's work is so consistantly excellent, it is a shame he is not a household name.
I really love his entire catalog and highlights for me include, Wherabouts from 1999, and Retreiver from 2004. The guy all heart and soul, funny too.

AllMusic Discography Overview
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4791FDA4BA47E20C6803641C59464FB47CC51B48D112D566C8BE3695087197CFD09BAD8CBAEF875B47FE3FE24A15905D0CFFE3681&sql=11:0sqpg4hbtv4z~T2

 
At May 16, 2006 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too was hestitant to listen to mr. sexsmith. but i got to see him live and it just brought it all together for me. he's definitely worth a second listen.

 
At May 16, 2006 1:22 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

He is a household name in his home and native land. Speaking of, when does the album come out in Canada, Heather? Ahem.

"Former Glory" is my favorite track off of Cobblestone Runway.

 
At May 16, 2006 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canada Rules

 
At May 16, 2006 1:35 PM, Blogger heather said...

Why, Andy, thank you for pointing out my oversight. There I go again, being a typical American, uninformed about our neighbors to the North. Seriously.

"Here are the release dates for Ron's upcoming album, Time Being, worldwide:
May 12 - Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy

May 15 - UK, Ireland, Spain, Belgium, Holland, France

May 16 - Canada

May 17 - Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland

June 14 - Japan

The release dates for US and Australia will be announced shortly."

Now I'm a-gonna go edit the post.

:)

 
At May 16, 2006 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ordered the UK version from CDWow out of England. Free shipping & it cost like $16 and should be here within a week(USA). Ron's site is offering a presale w/autograph to the 1st 50 buyers. I didn't find that until too late, but it's still cheaper to get it from the UK.

 
At May 16, 2006 3:56 PM, Blogger Are We There Yet? said...

This was one of my original lullaby tracks a few years ago, it's just beautiful. Most of his stuff is pretty stunning and he can be found doing the sweetest ditty, "The Very First Day" on the kids CD, "For the Kids Too." It's one of Tuesday's most favorite songs ever.

 
At May 16, 2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Other Songs is my personal favorite record of his.

I gotta find my "3 R's" mix cd I made up of rare Ryan Adams, Ron Sexsmith and Rufus Wainwright stuff. Could be a fun post.

Thanks for the shout out :)

 
At May 16, 2006 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See him live if you get the chance. I was amazed by his performance.

 
At May 17, 2006 12:34 AM, Blogger mimi said...

excellent!
thanx for this blog.
i love music

 
At May 17, 2006 2:08 AM, Blogger dr. ross thompson said...

Hey Heather, Ron is fantastic, and it is cool that you now have a huge back catalogue to explore.

Personally, I would recommend his third (though most people think it is his second, but that's another story) album, Other Songs. It is absolutely wondeful from start to finish.

Check it out. You still want me to sort you out with Destroyer?

 
At May 27, 2006 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jefitoblog had that Stephen Foster cover way way back. maybe drop an email?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter