I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Dry Your Eyes (Skinner v. Martin)

Thanks to my favorite music tipster, I went on a quest yesterday to find a rare version of a song from The Streets that is one of Mike Skinner's most personal (and pretty) songs ever, now made even better.

"Dry Your Eyes" was featured on A Grand Don't Come For Free, but the specific version I was seeking featured Chris Martin from Coldplay providing the vocals for the hook. The result of the joint effort is a song makes me feel like something is broken inside; the strings eviscerate me.

It's got all the torrid music industry controversy, which makes it hard to find: Martin's label didn't want him guesting, so the track was yanked after a very brief window of radio play, and now it's off the record and very hush hush:

"Dry Your Eyes (featuring Chris Martin)" - The Streets


Huge thanks to Ben at the Work For It blog, who was the actual quester who sought this out and was so kind to provide it to me. Check out his musical musings.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At April 06, 2006 6:10 PM, Blogger Honey said...

This song was awesome to begin with, and it somehow became something even cooler with chris. Thanks so much for the dl!

 
At April 06, 2006 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're my new hero.

 
At April 06, 2006 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this version forever. Thanks soooo much!

 
At April 07, 2006 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rumor has it that Martin recorded the vocals there on a laptop, but they both thought the original version sounded better. The new album is good- "Never Went To Church" is the new "Dry Your Eyes"

 
At April 07, 2006 9:34 AM, Blogger c said...

i am not a real fan of skinner, though i try. but i love chris's voice, especially when he is not doing his falsetto, and just sings in his actual register, like he does on this one. this is really cool. thanks!

 
At April 22, 2006 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesomee.... i've been looking for this song for Ever!!
u're the man

 
At May 01, 2006 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a ton for finding this version. I have been looking for this for almost 2 years. I love Martin's voice, it adds so much. Its a shame coldplay's management vetoed it for the streets record.

Thanks once for finding it!

 
At July 14, 2006 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You rock, I needed this for a playlist I was making and could not find it. Thanks so much.

 
At February 27, 2009 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any chance you could repost this? I am desperately trying to find this song and I can't get it anywhere!! Also, my email is hayleysozen@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter