I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, March 04, 2006

New Pearl Jam (full version): World Wide Suicide

Ha! The new Pearl Jam single is officially going to be available for download this Tuesday from the fabulously redesigned PearlJam.com website, and I was hoping it would surface in advance. Well, yay, it did. Some technologically clever soul ripped the audio from the 107.7 The End radio stream and I am so pleased to present it to you.

I find myself still furiously in love with that guitar riff on the chorus. It's tight and caged and excellent. I was a bit surprised to hear that the sound of the rest of the song is more loping and melodic than the earlier snippet made it seem. The verse portions of World Wide Suicide strongly remind me of an excellent, excellent b-side from the Lost Dogs CD called Undone.

"World Wide Suicide" - Pearl Jam
(updated with official released version - better quality - on 3/7/06)

One thing I am not as crazy about is the title of their new album: Pearl Jam. Yep, self-titled. That seems like more of a debut album move to me, but some say it is a classic in the rock tradition. I would have voted for the "Super-unowned" title myself, but oddly, no one asked me.

Pearl Jam's new album is scheduled for a May 2 release. The confirmed tracklist is:
01 Life Wasted
02 World Wide Suicide
03 Comatose (formerly Crapshoot)
04 Severed Hand
05 Marker In The Sand
06 Parachutes
07 Unemployable
08 Big Wave
09 Gone (previously featured on the Monday Music Roundup in January, go snag it)
10 Wasted Reprise
11 Army Reserve
12 Come Back
13 Inside Job

The first leg of the tour dates have been announced. My stars, do I love these guys & I am stoked for a tour.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At March 04, 2006 3:10 PM, Blogger Lizzy said...

hey heather, thanks for letting me know about that link. I fixed it, so you can get the song now! have you heard if before? its wonderful...

 
At March 05, 2006 12:12 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Thanks!

Now I don't need to wait an extra three days for the song!

Catchy song

 
At March 07, 2006 2:44 PM, Blogger chris said...

Not bad...but in answer to szg the chorus reminds me of "Already in Love," if that helps. Kinda bums me out, I've loved these guys for so long but they just haven't surprised me in awhile (with the exception of "You Are" from "Riot Act.") Seems they're just doing Pearl Jam songs, which I guess there's still a lot to be said for...

 
At March 08, 2006 3:56 PM, Blogger korova said...

Have to say new song sounds great. can't wait for the album. they are without a doubt the most talented rock bang going.

 
At March 23, 2006 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm way late to this post (technorati search) but anyway.

Here is part of the chorus from Undone:
the world has come undone
another day and who can wait
change don't come at once
it's a wave building before it breaks

and part of the lyrics to World Wide Suicide:
It’s the same every day
And the wave won’t break
Tell you to pray while
the devil’s on his shoulder

That's the Undone connection I saw right after reading the lyrics. I'd assume he's talking about the same 'wave'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter