I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Guest blogger: Chris from England

Being a music blogger is especially nifty when someone from your readership takes the time, after reading your post on mix tapes, to send you three mix CDs, full of aural delights.

Chris is from Tottington, England, which is in the Northwest and near Manchester (as Chris says, world famous for his beloved Manchester United soccer team, The Smiths, and Oasis).

Today (unbeknownst to him) I am letting him guest blog, with just a few of the many tracks he sent me, plus comments from the letter which accompanied the discs. I think he has a future as a music blogger!

* * * * *
SOME SONGS AND COMMENTS FROM CHRIS

Six O'Clock On A Tube Stop - A
This sounds a little like Sting (when he was in The Police) fronting Green Day. I kid you not.

Back For Good - McAlmont & Butler
They are a guy who sounds like a girl and the former guitarist from Suede doing a version of a hit by an embarassing British boy band (Take That). On paper this does not sound promising. How come it's fantastic?

Wires - Athlete
This was written about the singer's experience of his son being born prematurely. If you know the background (as with 'Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play That Part') I think it adds to the song - "first night of your life, curled up on your own."

Oh No The Radio - Owsley
A friend said, "You like Weezer? Try this." I did and I liked it a lot. The line about 'singing in a hairbrush and giving Donny and Marie the bum's rush' cracks me up.

Mermaid Blues - Tom McRae
Critically acclaimed, zero sales, great song.

* * * * *
There's lots of other great stuff from Chris that will surely find its way into the Fuel blog in future posts. Thank you sincerely Chris.

Chris also included a song from 'Manchester's finest' (Oasis) on the mix ("The Importance of Being Idle"), and ends with a comment that he went to school with the original Oasis guitarist Paul Arthurs, known as 'Bonehead.'

Now, I am no Oasis expert, or even a very huge fan, but of the handful of their songs that I like, one of my favorites is an extra vinyl track that a friend gave me called 'Bonehead's Bank Holiday.' I love the drunken riff and sloppy singalong style. It's just fun.

In your honor, Chris, here is that track about your former schoolmate chum.

Bonehead's Bank Holiday (extra vinyl track) - Oasis

Labels:

4 Comments:

At January 12, 2006 8:11 PM, Blogger heather said...

szg-
fabulous, fabulous. thanks for taking the time to share. that is indeed what it is all about. A is on iTunes (although a bit hard to find for obvious reasons): http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?artistId=3300539

thanks for stopping by!

 
At January 14, 2006 4:37 AM, Blogger Martin said...

Hello, found you here from the Ray Lamontagne post. Those songs were great, by the way, I can't find the specific post to comment on.

A are great - Sting comparison entirely correct - there was a real buzz around for them for a bit when I started university a few years back. Mind you, I was living next door to his brother-in-law in halls.

'Wires' is a lovely song, though I daresay that's more to do with the production than the songwriting. In all honesty, I don't think the song sounds all that meaningful until you learn the background.

As for McRae, I claim one sale! Well, three actually, one for each album. 'Mermaid Blues' is absolutely beautiful, though I think there are better McRae songs ('A Day Like Today', for example)

Is that cover of 'Back For Good' on the second Warchild EP? I've been trying to get hold of it (not that I need to, now you've put it up. Thanks!)

 
At January 14, 2006 9:43 AM, Blogger Tanner said...

Hey your site is really nice.

I have that giant drag wicked game cover you were looking for if you don't already have it.

http://norodeotown.blogspot.com/

 
At November 08, 2006 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone send me a day like today by tom mcrae to brownladee@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter