I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, June 22, 2007

If we can't have a great music festival on Alcatraz, this'll do

The Noise Pop peeps have done it again. In conjunction with Another Planet Entertainment, they've just announced an outdoor fall music festival on Treasure Island, the other mysterious land mass in the middle of the San Francisco Bay. It's been so long since I've been out there, it's just this exit on the Bay Bridge that I always used to speed past. But come September 15 . . .

THE FIRST TREASURE ISLAND MUSIC FESTIVAL
SEPT 15-16, 2007

Modest Mouse
M. Ward
Thievery Corporation
Spoon
Gotan Project
DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
Built To Spill
M.I.A.
Ghostland Observatory
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

...and others to be announced. In addition to the above acts, there will also be a second stage featuring up and coming local bands. According to the press release, "It is the first music-based event of this scale and scope to take place on the man-made island that was originally built to house the 1939 World’s Fair."

(I also just found out that parts of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were filmed on Treasure Island, which just ratchets up its rad factor in my book)

There's some stiff competition that weekend on the festival scene: I'll be at the Monolith Festival, and it's also the weekend of Austin City Limits (and somehow Spoon is playing at all three). But how cool is that for all you fans of good music back in my old stomping grounds? Good job on this one, festival organizers.


TREASURE ISLAND FESTIVAL SAMPLER
The acts they've lined up are a refreshing blend of indie rock, international beats, and electronica/hip-hop.

Summer - Modest Mouse
Chinese Translation - M. Ward
Un Simple Historie - Thievery Corporation
Rhthm & Soul - Spoon
Mi Confesión - Gotan Project
Erase You (feat. Chris James) - DJ Shadow
What's The Altitude (feat. Hymnal) - Cut Chemist
The Plan - Built To Spill
Amazon - M.I.A.
Stranger Lover - Ghostland Observatory
Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At June 22, 2007 11:51 AM, Blogger Dan London said...

Great blog. There are few websites I go to daily...this is one of them. I have found so many great bands thanks to you.


You should post some adsense boxes on your site so I can run some ads on there and make you some $.

 
At June 22, 2007 1:53 PM, Blogger Gabe said...

You have posted some ridiculously awesome mix tapes recently! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)

 
At June 24, 2007 2:18 AM, Blogger John Larsen said...

This is some amazing news! For this, "I am Fuel" is going into the bookmarks. :P

 
At June 24, 2007 7:44 AM, Blogger corqsan_photo said...

Hello!

Making a request: Could you please please please re-upload the Badly Drawn Boy live in San Francisco zip?

Thank you

 
At June 24, 2007 12:30 PM, Blogger el walto said...

Got tickets yesterday for the Saturday lineup. Can't wait :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter