I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, December 06, 2008

Sufjan gets behind the Welcome Wagon

If you showed me the cover of this (2008!!) album from Brooklyn's Welcome Wagon and asked me if'n I would like to borrow it from you and listen to it, my first reaction would be "No." That would be based largely on the fairly unbelievable cover. But shucks -- beyond that Seventies-tastic artwork lies a whole downpour of wholehearted harmonies and majestic banjos on this debut album from Rev. Vito Aiuto and his wife Monique. As it helpfully says on the cover, "Pastor and wife join voices in sacred foks songs for All Ages."

The album was produced, recorded, and arranged by Sufjan Stevens, and this song was originally written by past Sufjan collaborators Danielson Familie. Fans of Sufjan's music will appreciate the same childlike delight and shiny newness in their music.

Sold! To The Nice Rich Man - The Welcome Man

Welcome To The Welcome Wagon is out December 9th, and that night they are playing St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Brooklyn.


[thanks bruce!]

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At December 07, 2008 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended a bible study (RUF) led by Vito at NYU in 2003. It's so cool to know that his songs are finally getting a wide audience!

 
At December 10, 2008 12:27 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I can't stop listening to this!

 
At December 11, 2008 10:11 AM, Blogger aims said...

Big article in this month's Paste about them

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter