I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mr. Holland and his opus say "Download new Coconut Records for free!"

Jason Schwartzman ("oh, are they?") returns to quirky pop-heaven territory with the sophomore effort from his band Coconut Records. The unassuming debut Nighttiming was one of my favorites last year; I'm a sucker for that chimey, eclectic, slightly-awkward sound and openhearted joy. As I wrote before, normally we can all agree that actors making music spells disaster, but in this case it absolutely spells y-a-y.

Davy
is out January 13th on Young Baby Records, but you can now download the first track "Microphone" from his new album on Amie Street for free -- and for each download they will donate $1 to the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation, which gives musical instruments to kids. You can also pre-order the album for only five bucks while you're over on Amie Street.

This catchy new track sounds like it has one of those weird accordion-sounding instruments that you blow into the tube for. That's a technical music writer descriptive term right there.

LISTEN HERE:


DOWNLOAD FOR FREE HERE. Richard Dreyfuss wants you to.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 16, 2008 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it is called a melodica. But I like your term for it better.

 
At December 17, 2008 10:51 AM, Blogger Jowey said...

Let me second the above, this is most certainly a melodica or something similar. You can check one out here. I only know this because Hard 'N Phirm make use of one in their show and they are f'n hilarious. The song "Anything" usually features a short melodica intro, but this version on NPR is sadly missing it. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter