I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, November 07, 2008

Oakland's Audrye Sessions covers Elliott Smith

This is a gorgeously serpentine Elliott Smith cover from Oakland, CA foursome The Audrye Sessions. The first handful of times I listened to this I thought for sure it was a woman singing in that mournful alto. Now I realize that this band is fronted by a guy, Ryan Karazija. His voice reminds me of when Jeff Buckley would cover Nina Simone, or Thom Yorke's otherworldy falsetto. This spare rendition is altogether haunting.

Waltz #2 (Elliott Smith cover) - The Audrye Sessions
"i’m never gonna know you now, but i’m gonna love you anyhow"

Audrye Sessions’ self-titled EP was just released, with their debut full-length coming February 2009. They're on tour in the coming months, ending up in Denver on December 4th.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At November 07, 2008 11:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice.

But the best Smith cover to date is still Queens Of The Stone Age's Christian Brothers.

 
At November 07, 2008 2:46 PM, Blogger Dan said...

It's always interesting to hear other artists takes on Elliott songs, thanks for this!

 
At February 15, 2009 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Audrye Sessions is very good. They have a full-length dropping on Feb. 17th. I would recommend listening to their other stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/audryesessions

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter