I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, November 16, 2008

"make you believe / make you forget" :: Matt Nathanson in Denver

San Francisco songwriter/rocker (and fellow covers-whore) Matt Nathanson played the Bluebird last Monday in a sold out show which, as usual, juxtaposed his own wonderful songs with a well-picked stream of covers and snippets of other tunes. I've seen Matt several times and always walk away from his shows feeling a little gutted by his songs (especially his recent output chronicling the unmagnificent relationship difficulties of adult life) and smiling from the force of his hilarious and engaging personality.

He closed the night with this, one of the saddest songs of the year in my book:

Come On Get Higher (live in Denver) - Matt Nathanson

And I had not realized how devastating (and uncomfortably close) the lyrics of "Cath" by Death Cab for Cutie are until Matt quoted a few of them at the beginning of his song "Wedding Dress."

Cath --> Wedding Dress (live in Denver) - Matt Nathanson

Check out the rest of the show on the Live Music Archive, including a sweet little cover of "All I Have To Do Is Dream" by the Everly Brothers, which was a song I'd requested, and came out just lovely. Also, we rocked that singalong cover of "Take On Me" in a catharsis I wouldn't have thought possible.



[see all pics here]

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At November 16, 2008 7:01 PM, Blogger Andy @ Tympanogram said...

"Come On Get Higher" gives me a broner. Totally.

 
At November 17, 2008 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first really listened to Matt through this amazing piece on ABC.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=5666574&page=1

I really don't know if I could deal with something like this with such grace. Jessica Stone - a beautiful girl with such a beautiful soul.

 
At November 18, 2008 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love matt too. he just played Des Moines and did an exclusive concert for listeners on Monday for my radio station. it was awesome. Check out his candid interview and performance here at: http://www.star1025.com/pages/2833576.php

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter