I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Grace Potter is golden

I saw Grace Potter and the Nocturnals rock a bluesy, soulful set last night before a packed Ogden Theater. In addition to a powerful selection of songs from their own catalog, they worked in a ferocious cover of the Rolling Stones' "Paint It, Black."

Just listen to Grace wail on the line about, "I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes..."

Paint It, Black (Rolling Stones cover) - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
(this version live 10/17/08 at the Orange Peel)


And that picture I shot above reminds me of this cover Grace did in Montreal in September:

Golden (My Morning Jacket cover) - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At November 09, 2008 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love her, and I can't wait to see her again. One of the sexiest women visually and musically in rock.

 
At November 09, 2008 10:15 PM, Blogger Tawriffic said...

Just lovely - thank you.

 
At November 10, 2008 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their cover of Down by the River to close the show was phenomenal.

 
At November 10, 2008 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

superb. Saw her in Northampton to start the tour off... shes amazing.

 
At November 10, 2008 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you have any more pics you took? I'd love to see them!!

Jethronh

 
At November 10, 2008 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Heather doesn't have any more pictures, you can always ramble over to This Is Somewhere to get your fill.

 
At November 10, 2008 8:06 AM, Blogger heather said...

I do have more pics! Here you go.

And thanks for the link, kcortez!

 
At November 10, 2008 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- what a show Saturday.

Grace has great stage charisma, and evokes bits of Chrissie Hynde, Janis, Aretha, Tina, etc. Hard to believe she is from Vermont with her southern-tinged delivery. I feel like she will break out big time soon.

Her band is tight. The lead guitarist looked like a 70's throwback in a skinny Tommy Chong sort of way, with the shades and red bandana. When they played Down by the River, he unleashed his inner Neil Young and even went into Neil-stagger mode, culminating in a group huddle with the bassist and drummer, jammin' ala Crazy Horse.

Thanks to the late-KCUV for introducing me to her, and to Heather for posting those videos with her Grace Potter interview last summer. I will be dragging friends with me the next time she comes through Denver. What a great time!

Charles

 
At November 10, 2008 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a link to GPN doing "Down By The River" in Vancouver BC a few months back.

Down By The River

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter