I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, October 27, 2008

Tonight: Ray LaMontagne and Leona Naess

Touring in support of his new third album Gossip In The Grain, the skinny bearded man with the immensely warm & rough voice comes through Boulder tonight. I fell hard for Ray LaMontagne in early 2005 and his music has accompanied me through all sorts of highs and lows since then. Every now and again I still get a hard lump in my throat that's hard to swallow past when I listen to his music; even after knowing most of it by heart, it still suckerpunches. This is one of my favorite qualities.

A few of my favorites at the moment:
Hold You In My Arms (live on KFOG)
Empty (live at Bonnaroo 2005)
Crazy (Gnarls Barkley cover)
To Love Somebody (Bee Gees cover)
All The Wild Horses (solo acoustic, 9/30/08)
Heaven Is A Honky Tonk (live on ACL)
("all my heroes have gone to heaven..." - written after the death of Townes Van Zandt)


The effortlessly wonderful songbird Leona Naess lends her talents on Ray's newest album, and also opens this tour. I am quite excited to see her live after also being a fan for several years and never managing to catch her on tour. I was out at the record store on Friday night and I saw that her long-awaited album Thirteens is finally, finally out with little fanfare. It's excellent.

Ghosts In The Attic - Leona Naess


[photo credit: Dan Winters]

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At October 27, 2008 10:40 AM, Blogger Dainon. said...

You see 'em tonight and I'll see 'em tomorrow. Deal? Deal.

BTW, the package came last week. You know the one I mean. Perfect fit!

 
At October 27, 2008 11:36 AM, Blogger Lebrescos said...

I saw Ray a few weeks ago in Philly! The show was great! It was the first time I saw him perform. Being more used to Pearl Jam concerts, I found it funny how quiet the crowd could remain. I found myself having to stop singing along knowing people didn't come to hear me sing. I swear during one song I was tapping my foot and thought, "shit, even this is too much noise...someone is going to get pissed! My only regret about the show was that it was the Monday before the record came out and I would have preferred to have listened to it a few times. The record is awesome...I am in love with "A Falling Through" right now and absolutely love 8 of the 10 songs and like the other 2. The song "Meg White" has been getting some disses, but I love it. Gossip In The Grain - 5 Stars from me.

 
At October 27, 2008 4:24 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I saw him a few weeks ago in Boston. The crowd was horrible, but he was awesome as usual. I can't get enough of the album. Enjoy the show!

 
At October 27, 2008 10:07 PM, Blogger nivek2002 said...

Hope you enjoyed the show and that he was feeling better than he was in Texas. He performed great but obviously very exhausted afterword.

 
At October 28, 2008 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Heaven is a Honky Tonk but I'm a little sad that he abandoned the slightly louder and quicker version he played in '05. Either way, its always great stuff.

 
At October 29, 2008 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's hear a review of the show.

 
At October 29, 2008 3:45 PM, Blogger Christer said...

Hey Heather!
LOOOONG time no comment! I hope all is well (Valeen and I were talking about you the other day)...

Had to just pop in and say that I'm jealous ... I LOVE Ray LaMontange, but couldn't go to the show.

Also, since I only comment once every 2 years I'll take this opportunity to tell you that we caught Jason Mraz at the Fillmore on Monday night, and he blew my musical mind. (He is, after all, my favorite.)

 
At October 29, 2008 4:10 PM, Blogger Christer said...

Oh yeah ... I realize Mraz may be ...um... well let me just say that he's got oh so much more depth and musical genius than his "hits" demonstrate ...

 
At October 30, 2008 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd love to hear a review! it was probably one of the best shows i've ever seen

 
At October 30, 2008 2:00 PM, Blogger heather said...

it's coming! it is.

 
At November 04, 2008 12:18 AM, Blogger Patrick G said...

Heather, any other goodies from the 9/30/08 recording??? It sounds great!

 
At November 07, 2008 6:08 AM, Blogger Beadyjan said...

Thanks so much for sharing these tracks - his voice is just amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter