I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, October 27, 2008

"Only A Song" :: Ben Sollee and Jim James (My Morning Jacket)

After the the earnest beauty in his last album Learning To Bend (which included that Southern-sweet cover of "A Change Is Gonna Come"), Kentucky's Ben Sollee is back this month with a 2-song EP, currently available only on tour.

The opening track finds Sollee pairing with another musician friend from Louisville that you may know: Jim James of My Morning Jacket. Their simply-strummed acoustic duet blends Sollee's gentle musings of optimism with Jim's distinctively gorgeous harmonies. It is a timely song of hope in the face of seemingly overwhelming hopelessness.


I wouldn't make a sound if I wasn't so angry
I wouldn't be running if there wasn't so far to go
I wouldn't keep on if there wasn't something worth keeping
I want to believe the mountain can be moved

But this is only a song
It can't change the world

But why try? Why even sing at all?
... There is beauty in freedom and folks like me
Came over on boats, flew in on planes, crawled under fences and fought wars to find some unity

Only A Song - Ben Sollee and Jim James


BEN SOLLEE ON TOUR
1 Nov - Louisville KY / 930 Listening Room w/ Bootsie Ann
5 Nov - Nashville TN / The Basement
6 Nov - Atlanta GA / The 5 Spot
7 Nov - Chapel Hill NC / Nightlight
8 Nov - Washington DC / Iota
11 Nov - Brooklyn NY / The Bell House
12 Nov - New York NY / Mercury Lounge
13 Nov - Boston MA / Great Scott
14 Nov - Philadelphia PA / World Cafe Live
15 Nov - Pittsburgh PA / Club Cafe
17 Nov - Chicago IL / Schuba's
18 Nov - Minneapolis MN / 400 Club
21 Nov - Seattle WA / TBA
22 Nov - Portland OR / Balcony Bar At The Hawthorne Theatre
24 Nov - San Francisco CA / Café Du Nord
25 Nov - Los Angeles CA / Hotel Café

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter