I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, October 05, 2008

like the water when the sea got rough, she was bored with the breeze, she was bored of her luck

The view out my window is slick with rain in the moonlight. When I walked outside a few hours ago I was knocked a bit breathless for a moment by the smack of near-icy wind in the face. It seems pretty clear that summer (and any reprieves we may have gotten in the form of some gorgeous indian summer days these past weeks) has moved on to somewhere south of the equator. It was a good run this year, but now I find myself rummaging for suitable autumn songs that linger in the colder air with the crisp smell of smoke from neighbors' fireplaces.

Sam Beam of Iron & Wine released the fiesty and brave album The Shepherd's Dog about a year ago, which took a more multihued approach than the hushed-river ebb of his songs past (gorgeous favorites of mine like "Trapeze Swinger" or "The Sea and The Rhythm"). The third track on the album, "Lovesong of the Buzzard" was released as a limited-run 10" vinyl single in the UK on Transgressive Records (Regina Spektor, Noisettes, Polytechnic) with two excellent b-sides.

I don't have the vinyl yet, but due to the magic of the internets I've been enjoying the two tunes all this quiet evening. Beam's been steadily growing a bit more firey in his music, evoking the darker sides of an uncontrolled wilderness populated with all sorts of questionable characters. Kinda like a strong whiskey, recent Iron & Wine burns a little in the chest -- and there's undercurrent of darkness, even foreboding, in the melody and the illicit storyline of this song.

Arms Of A Thief - Iron & Wine

I cannot overstate my affections for I&W, especially in October. It just feels right, like bringing up that box of sweaters and other warm things from the basement.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At October 06, 2008 7:16 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I decided sometime last week that Iron & Wine would be Fall band this year. I posted I&W's Bonnaroo 2008 show over at my blog The Steam Engine.

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2008/09/iron-wine-bonnaroo-2008.html

 
At October 06, 2008 10:14 AM, Blogger SCQ said...

Excellent blog!

I've been checking out FuelFriends since you seemed as equally obsessed with Pete Yorn as I am (new song out, I'm sure you know!). Then Ryan Adams, now Iron and Wine! Blog-friend for life!

Keep up the great work!

SCQ

 
At October 06, 2008 10:49 AM, Blogger the meadow party. said...

this is going to sound like i'm bragging, but i just wanted to share that i saw sam beam perform a solo set at bimbo's last night and that it was, like seeing eddie in berkeley for both of those shows and neil young by himself at the grand old opry in 1999, one of the emotional highlights of my life. i was in heaven.

~lee.

 
At October 06, 2008 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I saw that The Sex Pistols have a DVD release soon. There’ll Always Be An England looks really good. I wish I could have gone to one of those shows. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FBJUMM?ie=UTF8&tag=rhinocom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001FBJUMM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter