I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Kings of Leon / We Are Scientists / The Stills @ Fillmore Denver

[Keith Murray of opening band We Are Scientists]

On Thursday night, the prodigal sons of preacher Leon were out in fine form at the Fillmore in Denver. Playing to a sold-out crowd, Kings of Leon opened with their current steamy single "Sex on Fire" and pushed through the early technical difficulties with the swagger of "My Party."

Minus the long hair and cleaned up like school photo day, the clan kept it tight through through pent-up rockers like "Four Kicks" (which always makes me feel like I want to, well, kick somebody) and my favorite song off Because Of The Times, "Fans" (to my unbridled delight). Some of their newer material felt a little sludgy but definitely hit a high point with "Use Somebody," which is a fantastic song and sounds epic live. Although for me they never quite hit the same sweaty frenzy of the last time I saw them at the smaller Ogden Theater, they --and possibly their sex, although this is unverified at press time-- were still on fire.

Off Canada's Arts & Crafts label, The Stills opened the night (always the bridesmaids, never the brides -- although they totally could bring it as headliners themselves) followed by New York's We Are Scientists. The Gigbot photo booth was also out to capture all the fine looking hipsters in the crowd, and then there was me and Julio.

More pics (The Stills, then the rest of KOL):

Beneath The Surface (Sex on Fire 7" b-side) - Kings of Leon
Snow In California - The Stills
In Action - We Are Scientists


Bonus: an intimidating track to attempt -- how do you learn the words?

Hoppípolla (Sigur Ros cover) - We Are Scientists


All pics from the night here.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At October 25, 2008 4:44 PM, Blogger Sally Jo Who said...

I'm glad you had a good time. :) I saw KoL for the first time back in June with Pearl Jam in SC. Didn't really like them that much before that day, but then I saw them play "Four Kicks" that night, and I was instantly converted. Nathan plays the crap out of the drums on that song. :)

I'm seeing them on Nov. 18th (Atlanta), with The Whigs replacing The Stills. Really looking forward to it. Don't know much about the Whigs, but Kings of Leon and We Are Scientists are two favorites. :)

 
At October 25, 2008 7:20 PM, Blogger Hanan said...

KoL are so damn sexy. I mean that in every capacity, and most importantly: musically

 
At October 26, 2008 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMAZING! I just saw them yesterday in Austin, GREAT show, first time seeing KoL, gosh i think they are better live than a CD! and W.A.S great tooo!! love them!
peace

 
At October 26, 2008 10:47 PM, Blogger J said...

I'm going for to see KoL for the 6th time in Houston on Tuesday. They always seem to be in cities I'm in. I'm really looking forward to it

 
At October 27, 2008 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! Glad to see you giving props to The Stills- I've seen them numerous times in NYC and New Jersey, always as headliners, and they seriously bring a great show. Most laudable is that they progress and change with each album. Unlike many other modern bands whose songs all sound exactly the same in a ridiculous attempt to rigidly define themselves around a specific "sound", The Stills have stayed open-ended and as a result the show is fun and surprising. "Being Here" is the best new song to come out by any band in quite some time.

 
At October 27, 2008 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, i was at KOL show too! nice pics, they definitely rocked out.

 
At October 27, 2008 2:54 PM, Blogger Yanuly Sanson said...

The woman taking the last picture has a Calexico moustache. Is this allowed in a family blog?

 
At October 27, 2008 3:06 PM, Blogger heather said...

two of them! two proud girls with moustaches. that was the (confused) point of the picture. I didn't understand what was going on.

 
At October 27, 2008 7:54 PM, Blogger LadyM73 said...

I thought I saw you there taking pictures up front. You were texting or something on your phone in between bands. (I'm actually in the last picture you posted. A bit blurry in the background, but there. lol) I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the show by trading it for a Beastie Boys ticket. It was truly and awesome show. I even got to meet the boys after the show. I hope they start coming back to Denver every year.

 
At October 28, 2008 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Heather...

not to sound like I'm complaining, but have you got a cleaner version of Beneath the Surface? The quality really takes a dive at about 2:20....

 
At October 28, 2008 2:35 PM, Blogger Bona Fide Darling said...

I'll be checking them out tomorrow night in Dallas--can't FN WAIT!

 
At October 28, 2008 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a really nice camera because those are good shots? What speed setting are you using?

 
At October 28, 2008 4:00 PM, Blogger heather said...

dy - i have a canon rebel xti and did various low light settings - having a nice camera is so much fun! thanks! :)

 
At October 31, 2008 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jiggity jiggity...

jethronh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter