Ben Nichols (of Lucero) and The Gaslight Anthem cover Johnny Cash
Today marks the release of All Aboard: A Tribute To Johnny Cash, featuring The Gaslight Anthem and Ben Nichols of Lucero in a one-two punch, along with artists like Chuck Ragan, Dresden Dolls (featuring Franz Nicolay of The Hold Steady) and a variety of other punk/indie/Americana bands. Some artists I've not previously heard of, but they do the songs an interesting turn. Aside from a few missteps, in general the rough edges of this collection suit the songs well.
LISTEN TO THE WHOLE ALBUM
1. Man In Black - The Bouncing Souls
2. Country Boy - Fallen From The Sky
3. Wreck Of The Old ’97 - Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music)
4. Let The Train Whistle Blow - Joe McMahon (Smoke or Fire)
5. Delia’s Gone - Ben Nichols (Lucero)
6. God’s Gonna Cut You Down - The Gaslight Anthem
7. Cocaine Blues - The Loved Ones
8. Give My Love To Rose - OnGuard (feat. Jason Shevchuk of Kid Dynamite and None More Black)
9. I Still Miss Someone - Casey James Prestwood (Hot Rod Circuit)
10. Hey Porter - MxPx
11. Cry, Cry, Cry - The Flatliners
12. Ballad of a Teenage Queen - The Dresden Dolls feat. Franz Nicolay of The Hold Steady
13. Folsom Prison Blues - Chon Travis (Love = Death)
14. There You Go - The Sainte Catherines
15. I Walk The Line - Russ Rankin (Good Riddance, Only Crime)
Bonus Track/Vinyl only: Delia’s Gone (Alternate Version) - Ben Nichols (Lucero)
All proceeds benefit the Syrentha Savio Endowment for underprivileged breast cancer patients; we can all rock for breasts. That seems like a pretty unifying and worthy cause. Buy the album for ten bucks on Anchorless Records.
Also, good neighbors take note: Ben Nichols and Chuck Ragan are playing (along with Tim Barry, Jon Snodgrass and Austin Lucas) tomorrow and Thursday nights in Colorado as part of this "Revival Tour." Hallelujah.