I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, September 01, 2008

so he says

I don't have a holiday today like all the rest of the U.S. seems to get -- the institution of higher education where I work chooses to hold the first day of school on Labor Day each year. You know, just to be fun.

But the convocation address in the celestial Shove Chapel this morning was given by CC alum Aaron Shure, who is now a sitcom writer (Everybody Loves Raymond, The Office). In addition to giving a very funny speech to all the fresh-faced incoming students about the paths we take to being our authentic selves, he read a quote from Miles Davis that I'd not heard before, but struck me as worth repeating:

Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” --Miles Davis (American jazz musician, 1926-1991)

Yep.

Monday Music is in the works, and coming later today.

1 Comments:

At September 01, 2008 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My alma mater... congrats on the job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter