I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Lovin's for fools :: Bon Iver covers Sarah Siskind, gives me shivers

Bon Iver has said that Sarah Siskind's 2006 album Studio.Living Room changed his life, and he's been closing his sets all summer with a haunting cover of her song "Lovin's For Fools." Sarah finally joined him onstage at Nashville's Exit/In on August 11th to sing it with him.

If this isn't enough to make you want to never give your heart again, then I don't know what would be:


DIRECT LINK TO VIDEO

Lovin's For Fools (live at the Exit/In, 8-11-08) - Bon Iver & Sarah Siskind
Lovin's For Fools - Sarah Siskind
(from this EP)


Sarah's voice has a chill-inducing Appalachian edge to it that conjures the unflinching starkness of Gillian Welch, and this song sounds like sleepwalking and bad dreams. There's also another fantastic rendition of this cover with Bon Iver and The Bowerbirds at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC on July 29.

[via Everybody Cares]

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At September 08, 2008 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Everything Justin does amazes me.

 
At September 08, 2008 12:48 PM, Blogger Iain said...

I can't make the mp3 link for the BonIver/Siskind version jive, and I'm craving it in a bad way. Is my computer effed up, or would it be possible to repost the track?

 
At September 08, 2008 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw him do this (without Sarah) on the second night of his tour. No mics or amps were used yet the bands vocals were so powerful the sound filled the entire concert hall.

 
At September 08, 2008 9:15 PM, Blogger Chad said...

isn't just incredible?

(thanks for the link, too)

:)

 
At September 09, 2008 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw him on Conan. I wanted to like it, but the vocals were absolutely indiscernible, which rendered the performance into basically a wobbling whine.

 
At September 10, 2008 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

didn't watch the video yet but cool story about this show. before they actually started playing the tune, Justin hollered up at the bartender to stop running receipts while they try and do this song unplugged and the bartender obliged. really special moment and justin was visibly emotional after the song was over. VERY cool moment.

 
At September 11, 2008 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR THIS!

I've never heard of Sarah Siskind, but just bought her album after listening to the stream on CD Baby - just fantastic and a great companion to For Emma. I'm looking forward to listening to both as skies grow gray and winds blow colder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter