I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Brand new "fun" from Nate Ruess of The Format

When Arizona intelli-pop band The Format broke up a few months ago, a little part of my heart broke. I loved those guys; the homemade "Format Sunny Supermix" is still a superstar on my car radio, all summer every summer.

Well, hooray hooray for some good news before this summer ends: lead singer Nate Ruess has a new band, called simply "fun." Strike two on the not good for Googling, guys. They're trying to undermine my whole system of band data gathering. Subversive.

But hey, this new demo is just great; he doesn't care to be forgiven, he only wants to be forgotten. Read more about the formation of the new band in a blog post from Nate, and listen to this sweet tune. It's good to hear his voice again.

Benson & Hedges (demo) - fun

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At August 12, 2008 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome article...glad to see these guys getting some hype.
www.thedrunkcanuck.com

 
At August 12, 2008 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, what a great song! lovin it.

 
At August 12, 2008 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you post this Format mix CD?

 
At August 12, 2008 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I'm also intrigued about this Format mix CD?
Also, did you spot this in the Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/aug/03/popandrock
As an English reader of a lot of US blogs, I often see comments assuming we're more cultured across the pond, but I agree with this article that a lot of the emerging American bands at the moment seem much more intellectual than our lot!

 
At August 12, 2008 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, sorry you'll need to stick a k on the end of that url!

 
At August 12, 2008 12:28 PM, Blogger Andy @ Tympanogram said...

You don't have to post the mix - just give me the playlist of the Supermix so I can recreate the magic myself. Please.

 
At August 12, 2008 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks... made my day... I've been sad since I read the format split up

 
At August 13, 2008 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you covered this new project. I've been waiting for something to rise up out of The Format's ashes. This was a great surprise.

 
At August 13, 2008 1:44 PM, Blogger ZooooM said...

I stumbled on the Format last year sometime, fell in love with their music.

They played the House of Blues near my home, but it was sold hout before I could even try to get in there.

And then they broke my heart by ceasing to create music.

Last night I got the e-mail about FUN and haven't stopped telling people about it since. Even people who just don't care. My husband keeps saying "I KNOW. You already told me."

I.can.not.wait.for.Feb 2009.

 
At August 14, 2008 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made my whole week. And it has been a crappy week.

 
At August 19, 2008 10:12 AM, Blogger Amy said...

You know, for some reason I fully expected to hate this, but it's really got my toes tapping. :D

 
At August 21, 2008 4:03 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Haha, "Strike two on the not good for googling."

Awesome. I totally agree. It makes being obsessive about a band a lot harder. Maybe that's what they want. But if so, they shouldn't make as good of music as they do.

 
At November 19, 2008 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw FUN last night they opened for Jack's Mannequiin at TLA in philly. I loved every single song they did. Can't wait for the cd to come out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter