I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wilco plays someone else's songs, Part II

Hey do you like Wilco? Of course you do. And most everyone likes covers (especially me). This is part two of a jawdropping treasure trove of lovingly-assembled covers that Wilco has performed in concert over the years.

In this batch, you get covers of everyone from Neutral Milk Hotel (!!) to Herman's Hermits, an even better version of that lovely lovely "Be Not So Fearful" song that I posted a while back, and you also get to hear Tweedy's improvisational singsong verse about Grateful Dead fans ("You're scaring me very much now / I always suspected that a lot of this crowd smoked a lot of pot, and dropped a lot of acid back in the hippy days / Oh, it's so so sad that you're Wilco fans.")


WILCO: SOMEONE ELSE'S SONGS [via]
DISC 2
Give Back the Key to My Heart (11/22/99): Doug Sahm

Kingsport Town (1/4/00): Bob Dylan

Lookin' for a Love (1/4/00): Neil Young

King of Carrot Flowers, Part 1 (1/9/00): Neutral Milk Hotel

Rock Salt and Nails (5/14/00): Bob Dylan

Organ Blues (5/14/00): T. Rex

Reflections in a Crystal Wind (9/12/00): Richard & Mimi Farina

I'm Into Something Good (9/13/00): Herman's Hermits

Colon song (11/16/00)

Stairway to Heaven (12/20/00): Led Zeppelin - (Golden Smog)

Ripple (2/25/01): Grateful Dead

I Wish I Was Your Mother (9/15/01): Mott The Hoople

No Depression (11/18/01): The Carter Family

It's Alright to Cry (2/17/02): Rosie Grier

Three Is a Magic Number (2/17/02): Schoolhouse Rock

Yellow Submarine (2/17/02): The Beatles

We Will Rock You (2/17/02): Queen

Be Not So Fearful (4/6/02): Bill Fay

TV Eye (5/26/02): The Stooges

Henry & the H-Bombs (6/10/02): Mott The Hoople

ZIP: SOMEONE ELSE'S SONGS (DISC TWO)


[photo from Louisville Slugger Field, credit Richie Wireman]

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At July 23, 2008 8:13 AM, Blogger KT said...

Yet another great band covers Schoolhouse Rock.

This makes me want to turn on Schoolhouse Rock Rocks and listen once more to Pavement singing No More Kings.

 
At July 23, 2008 2:26 PM, Blogger Stephen Kuykendall said...

Thank you for all of these, I love Wilco and anything more is always bonus.

 
At July 23, 2008 6:00 PM, Blogger Trailer said...

Sweet. Thanks!!

 
At July 23, 2008 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Currently listening to part 1...great stuff! What a public service you have done.

 
At July 24, 2008 6:38 AM, Blogger Dustin C. said...

Hmmm... actually, I fall much more into the Son Volt camp than Wilco, and yes, I am still bitter that Jeff is more critically lauded than Jay, though I feel Jay is a better songwriter. Still, these comps intrigue me, so maybe it's time I rediscovered why I loved Wilco (way before YHF), and give these a listen!

 
At July 24, 2008 12:36 PM, Blogger Brian said...

If I recall Utah Phillips wrote "Rock Salt & Nails" which has been a staple of a Joe Ely live show for years.

 
At July 24, 2008 7:41 PM, Blogger gregtuco said...

I knew Wilco did a version of Mott The Hoople's classic "I Wish I Was Your Mother" but never came across it –THANK YOU

 
At July 26, 2008 1:36 PM, Blogger Jennifer Saylor said...

Thank you for the good stuff, Heather!

http://jennifersaylor.wordpress.com/2008/07/26/music-post-wilco-fleet-foxes/

 
At July 31, 2008 10:52 AM, Blogger ALittleGuitar said...

thanks a bunch for both!

 
At August 04, 2008 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Neil Young song is actually just called "Lookin' for a Love". Just wanted to clear that up.

Fantastic post, thanks.

 
At August 05, 2008 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember seeing Wilco do a wonderful version of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" at the Trocadero in Philly in 96, I think. Jeff jumped off the stage and walked around shaking people's hands while he sang the song.

great, great, show.

 
At January 23, 2009 11:15 AM, Blogger pneyu said...

I must've put together this compilation in 2002--glad to see it has some legs. Heck, even I listen to it sometimes! :)

 
At May 15, 2009 12:14 AM, Anonymous jmking@san.rr.com said...

you rock, you rock, you rock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter