I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, July 03, 2008

So tired of being sexy

Brazilian band Cansei de Ser Sexy (CSS) has one of the best band names ever, for two reasons:
1) it literally means "I got tired of being sexy" (and who hasn't?)
2) the name's taken from something Beyonce once said to that effect. I mean, really.

Singing in both Portuguese and English, CSS weaves together shiny, syncopated electro-pop with an edge of irreverent glamour and charming naivete. The Guardian once wrote that “they sound like an unlikely, brilliantly wrong fusion of Tom Tom Club, dance culture and the Fall.”

Although CSS favors topics of pop culture and night hedonism (song titles include "Jager Yoga," "Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above," and "Meeting Paris Hilton"), their music is not vapid. The new song below evokes a lot more Karen O than Paris H, even though they sometimes sing about the latter. And I say this with affection because my new job is in this field, but they also look like an innocent group of foreign exchange students. You practically want to help them find the library, bring them to a soccer game, or maybe take them home for Thanksgiving when the dorms close.

For your listening pleasure, three tunes: Some new hotness from their upcoming release, a smokingly sassy remix of "Music Is My Hot Hot Sex" (on repeat 'round here), and their smashing efforts at remixing Swedish indie sensation Lykke Li.

Rat Is Dead (Rage) - Cansei de Ser Sexy/CSS
Music Is My Hot Hot Sex (Switch feat Mapei mix) - CSS
Little Bit (CSS remix) - Lykke Li


The new CSS album Donkey (produced in Brazil, mixed in L.A.) is out July 21 on Sub Pop.

Oh, and it's gonna be a party with these kids out at Red Rocks. CSS is one of the penultimate acts capping off the Monolith Festival this September, playing at 9:45pm Sunday, September 14th. Come, dance.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At July 03, 2008 3:02 PM, Blogger buenaventura y tal said...

hello.

i'm a common reader and "downloader"(?) of your great blog.

css are really nice.

did you check these covers?:

http://buenaventuras.blogspot.com/2008/05/css-covers.html

i hpoe you like them.

 
At July 04, 2008 4:13 AM, Blogger Pete P. said...

I saw them live in Helsinki last year and they were amazing. I hardly ever like a live show if I haven't heard the album beforehand, but CSS just blew the place away so totally that I could only admire their star-quality.

 
At July 05, 2008 7:47 AM, Blogger John said...

Wow this is really kinda terrible. Can't hit a home run every time I guess.

 
At July 07, 2008 4:24 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I love that lykke li remix! The other stuff isn't as good as their debut though but maybe it will be a grower.

 
At July 07, 2008 7:05 PM, Blogger aikin said...

I am absolutely dying to know what "Jager Yoga" is.

 
At July 07, 2008 8:36 PM, Blogger heather said...

i know aiken, right? sounds dangerous. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter