I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, July 24, 2008

she says i wanna do right, but not right now

The New Frontiers from Dallas dropped their spacious and glowing cover of the Gillian Welch song "Look At Miss Ohio" into my inbox today, like a little gift. That aching original has been one of my favorite songs to attempt harmony with on the chorus for a few years now, but where Gillian's voice often takes on that haunted and weary edge, this version burns a little with spreading warmth -- like a good glass of whiskey. It sounds like roadtrips that start at 4am after too much talking and dreaming about the wanderlust.

Look At Miss Ohio (Gillian Welch cover) - The New Frontiers

The New Frontiers have a new album called Mending out on The Militia Group label, and check the Daytrotter session they did to hear two songs from the album and two unreleased tunes.

They are on tour now, hitting Denver's Cervantes Ballroom on Monday night.

*****
LOOSELY RELATED UPDATE (because it was playing in my head all night long): My favorite cover that Gillian Welch does, of a Radiohead tune. Gutting.

Black Star (Radiohead cover) - Gillian Welch

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At July 25, 2008 6:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, thanks for this song. I hadn't heard of The New Frontiers before but I love their alt-country sound.

 
At July 26, 2008 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same as brendan says - this is a great intro to this band. I just heard this cover off your blog, and ended up buying their latest on iTunes two hours later after listening to this maybe 10 times on repeat...

 
At July 28, 2008 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Miss Ohio...might be my fav Gillian Welch tune, right up there for sure. Listened to it a million times when Soul Journey came out. This is a great cover, a little more rockin' than Gillian's. Very cool. thanks for this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter