I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Neil Halstead and a new vinyl giveway from Brushfire Records

British musician Neil Halstead has produced some lovely, starry-night music in his years of tunes; with Slowdive, with Mojave 3, and solo. The first time I probably heard him was on a surf movie soundtrack, or something that conjures up a sparkling ocean in my mind. It's gorgeous, melancholy, sleepwalking music with a strong support of melody holding it up from slogging around in the dreamland.

This song is the first listen from his forthcoming Oh! Mighty Engine album (out July 29th on Brushfire). He sings, "I just want to live somewhere where the air is sweet and clear," and this sounds like it will be the perfect accompaniment when he does get there.

Paint A Face - Neil Halstead



This song is also the lead-off track on the newest contest item I have for your winning: Brushfire has supplied me with two 12" vinyl samplers left from the festivities of Record Store Day. It features eight songs from their artist roster --

12" TRACKLISTING
Neil Halstead - Paint A Face
Mason Jennings - Something About Your Love
Jack Johnson - What You Thought You Need
Matt Costa - Never Looking Back
Money Mark - Summer Blue
G. Love and Special Sauce - Crumble
(from the new album Superhero Brother, out yesterday)
Zach Gill (of ALO) - Beautiful Reason (from unreleased new album Stuff, out July 29)
Christians In Black - Rogue Wave

Not a bad selection, there. I've got two to give away, leave me a comment if you would like to be entered for one of 'em. You can also buy the vinyl here if you don't win it. Neil Halstead will be the opening act for labelmate Jack Johnson in August from Toronto to Salt Lake, and then will be announcing a West Coast headlining tour soon.

Labels: , , ,

28 Comments:

At June 24, 2008 10:46 PM, Blogger KT said...

Sign me up!

 
At June 24, 2008 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,
I'd love to be entered into that :P

 
At June 24, 2008 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some Neil H...a 12" sampler, how cool is that!
cheers
Kenny

 
At June 25, 2008 12:12 AM, Blogger Pinball said...

Hey Heather, Put me in. I'm seeing Jack in at Burls Creek and would love to get to know Neil. I'm in Canada though. Make a difference?

 
At June 25, 2008 12:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Add my name to the list!

 
At June 25, 2008 2:26 AM, Blogger shua said...

Hi - I'd also love to be entered into this contest. Thank you!

 
At June 25, 2008 3:20 AM, Blogger Tin Puck said...

Sign me up. Very interested.

 
At June 25, 2008 4:33 AM, Blogger ack said...

would actually love this... thanks for considering me

Bryan

 
At June 25, 2008 6:45 AM, Blogger Hatfielder said...

What a cool little lineup. Enter me please. Vinyl samplers - hope I start seeing more of those out there.

 
At June 25, 2008 7:46 AM, Blogger Jimmy Diggs said...

Spin me right round baby, like a Brushfire record baby.
Thanks for the opportunity to win this vinyl sampler!
I gutted my grandparents old record cabinet (had to be done), and my dad and I are currently refurbishing with a new turntable, speakers, etc. Can't wait for it to be completed so my two-year-old daughter can grow up listening to vinyl.
Grazie,
Jim

 
At June 25, 2008 7:53 AM, Blogger Scott Orr said...

i'm good to go for this as well.
thanks!

 
At June 25, 2008 8:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'd like the Sampler platter, please. Special Sauce on the side.

 
At June 25, 2008 9:32 AM, Blogger Chris joyce said...

sign me up yo!

brushfire (and ATO) are two record labels who do things right in an otherwise shitty music industry scene.

 
At June 25, 2008 10:41 AM, Blogger itsjustme said...

I just brushed off my old 1974 Technics turntable. Pleeeze give me a good reason to use it - sign me up!

 
At June 25, 2008 10:44 AM, Blogger Joshua P. Premuda said...

i'll be glad to be entered in the contest

 
At June 25, 2008 10:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Throw my name in the mix. Thanks.

 
At June 25, 2008 10:58 AM, Blogger Heather Ainsworth said...

This sounds lovely! ...or it will :) sign me up sista!

 
At June 25, 2008 12:11 PM, Blogger Matt Carr said...

I've loved Neil since i heard a song of his on the Sprout soundtrack. Please put me in the running.
Matt

 
At June 25, 2008 12:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I'd love to win this vinyl!

 
At June 25, 2008 3:42 PM, Blogger frankie dartz said...

yes please!

 
At June 25, 2008 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to groove to this. Thanks Heather!!

 
At June 25, 2008 6:55 PM, Blogger Stephen Kuykendall said...

Would love to hear it, put me down for an entry.

 
At June 25, 2008 9:37 PM, Blogger Mike Todd said...

I'd love to hear it! Count me in!

Mike

 
At June 26, 2008 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sign me up! i t z d at yahoo d o t com

 
At June 26, 2008 12:34 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Just thought I'd say: vinyl.

How nice...

 
At June 26, 2008 4:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really like Matt Costa; i think his songs are really creative and well produced. Also, the Jack Johnson live in Japan DVD was a really clutch purpose and has him and Money Mark and a couple of other brushfire guys traipsing around japan and surfing. Oh yea, and sign me up please.kg

 
At June 26, 2008 10:13 PM, Blogger hmmm said...

Always interested in contests for great music!

 
At June 29, 2008 6:28 AM, Blogger mattreader said...

Neil Halstead has come on my radar screen at least twice a year for the last 15 years of so. Somehow or another I have gazed at my shoes at a Slowdive show at the Metro in Chicago, chatted with Neil and Rachel when Mojave 3 came to Portland, OR. Various albums show up in the dollar bins of area stores! From dark 4AD days to sunny Brushfire days, I expect Neil and his music to be part of my world for a long time to come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter