I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ryan Adams at SXSW in 2001

In early 2001, Ryan Adams was riding high on the critical acclaim of his debut solo album Heartbreaker (Sept 2000), while simultaneously letting off some punk steam through the recording of the excellent Pink Hearts sessions (starting in December of that year).

The set that he played at South by Southwest that year was heavy on Pink Hearts selections, some of my favorite unreleased songs by him. In my book, the 1-2-3 punch in this set of "Candy Doll," "Gimme A Sign" and "Mega-Superior Gold" would be one that I'd pay good cash to see again. I love those songs.

RYAN ADAMS at SXSW
March 16, 2001
Introduction
Candy Doll
Gimme A Sign
Enemy Fire
I Don't Wanna Work
Starting To Hurt
Mega-Superior Gold
Red Red Red Red Wine
Testy, Testy
Charmed

ZIP: RYAN ADAMS AT SXSW 2001


[stream it here, thanks to the original taper]

Travel notes from D.C.: Saw Raconteurs last night at the 930 Club; more on that super-loud awesomeness later. And hey, you know what's really nice? Waking up East-Coast early in a hotel room and crawling a few inches from the bed over into one of these things. Yeah. That's what I'm talkin about.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At May 28, 2008 9:04 AM, Blogger white snow red said...

I was at the show last night too... fantastic!

 
At May 28, 2008 10:45 AM, Blogger David Kramer-Smyth said...

In case you didn't see it yet here is the link for the NPR stream of last nights show...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.phpstoryId=90769922

A very sold-out/crowded show at the 9:30club sometimes brings out the worst in the club. As a first timer what did you think of the club? I'm trying to see if I'm just getting to old for the over sold-out shows or it's the club itself.

 
At May 28, 2008 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome awesome post, thanks so much.

 
At May 28, 2008 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, any chance of posting the real Pinkheart sessions?

 
At May 28, 2008 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How in the heck did you get in? I thought it was sold out! I guess being in the "biz" has its perks.

Yeah I'd like to hear your thoughts on the 9:30 club as well. Many artists have recorded shows there. Butch Walker, KT Tunstell, etc.

 
At May 29, 2008 11:57 PM, Blogger Tawriffic said...

Hi Heather,

Thought you might like to know that "NPR: Live Concerts from All Songs Considered Podcast" has this Raconteurs concert available as a podcast. That is quick!!!

I am looking forward to giving it a spin on the weekend.

 
At May 30, 2008 4:04 PM, Blogger neil said...

Agree with Nick. I jumped out of my seat thinking it WAS THE sessions. Mighty fine post though.

Time for you to trawl through your back catalogue and do a rare 'special' while Ry is cooking up the next chapter.

Is it going to be Paris 'cultured' man or Cali Dead Hedo? Get behind thee peddle steel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter