I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, May 01, 2008

New Paul Weller & Noel Gallagher collaboration: "Echoes Round The Sun"

The Stereogum 'Gum Drop featured a brand new collaboration between Jam-master Paul Weller and Oasis' Noel Gallagher yesterday, from Weller's forthcoming album 22 Dreams (Yep Roc, June 24). Read more about the album and other guests stars here.

Of this track, Weller explains, "Noel came down to the studio with this loop he'd never been able to do anything with. He played the bass and the piano and then Gem played guitar on top. I extemporized some vocals over the top. In songwriting terms, it's the first Weller/Gallagher collaboration."

The results are surprising -- not what I had imagined, but ultimately I dig the loopy coolness. I also just realized how much the intro riff reminds me of the epic "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" by U2:

Echoes Round The Sun - Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher & Gem Archer
(Yep Roc changed their minds - stream it here)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 02, 2008 4:54 PM, Blogger Russell said...

Ripped it yester and listened terday;it grooves and has that genuine B side haunt to it.Weller used to write wonderful B sides like 'Butterfly Collector' , 'Funeral Pyre' and the 'Dreams of Children'.

U2 CD arrived safely, just in time for the wife's birthday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter