I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, May 09, 2008

I wish I was a tightrope walker with legs made out of gold

When I saw Bob Schneider last November in Denver there was one simple, naked song that felt like a heavy weight settling in on my chest as he performed it. Maybe it was just something in the air that night but I remember that it knocked me back on my heels; it's rumored that hot tears may have inexplicably pricked into my eyes about two thirds of the way through this, but no one has any proof of seeing that happen so it's hard to say, really.

I finally found an mp3 of that song a few months ago after much searching. There's a lyric in it about candyteeth, and so that line popped into my head last night while driving home from having my face melted (again) by Wilco, listening to my Summerteeth CD. This is how my brain works.

Anyways. Last night I turned off Tweedy and Co. and sang this quietly to myself instead. It's got signature Schneider phrasing, but reaches deep to be a song of longing, defeat, and maybe a glimmer of hope for some future contentment.

Blow Me Back To You (live) - Bob Schneider
(new version posted Saturday)

I wish I was a baby bear sleeping in the brown
winter grass in April, while the sun was going down
and I wish my shoes were empty
and I was still in bed
with you there beside me
with your dreams inside your head

Oh I wish the world would do what I want it to
and I wish the wind would blow me, blow me back to you

I wish your mom was ugly and your dad was ugly too
cuz then they couldn't of had a girl to be as beautiful as you
and I wish I was a tightrope walker
with legs made out of gold
I'd hold you in my golden legs
and never let you go

Oh I wish the world would do what I want it to
and I wish the wind would blow me, blow me back to you

Well I wish I could see Jesus shining in the sky
so that he could finally let me know
that everything would be just fine
I wish I knew that God's love
was all I'd ever need
I'd cut my candyteeth for fun
and let the good times bleed

Oh I wish the world would do what I want it to
oh I wish the world would do what I want it to
and I wish the world would blow me, blow me back to you


[img: American painter Everett Shinn, "Tightrope Walker" (1924)]

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At May 09, 2008 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you discovered Okkervil River yet, cause Will Sheff's writing is going to kill you. Try "Maine Island Lovers," though I could name a zillion other of his songs that are just as good.

 
At May 09, 2008 10:24 PM, Blogger Jeff Giddens said...

love bob, but i feel like the tom waits worship might have spilled over into mimicry

 
At May 10, 2008 5:48 AM, Blogger Russell said...

The wind rarely listens;its our feet that have to do the talking.

Love the picture.

 
At May 10, 2008 8:58 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

what's funny is that i read the lyrics and immediately thought of summerteeth when i read candyteeth, then i went back and read your description to find you had the same reaction

 
At May 10, 2008 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some song.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter