I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hüsker Dü thrashes San Francisco's Mabuhay Gardens in 1981

In 1981, on a warm summer night when I was probably laying in my crib thinking about how I wanted to celebrate my 2nd birthday in a few weeks, Hüsker Dü was just up the peninsula rocking the veritable old music venue in San Francisco's North Beach at Mabuhay Gardens.

Nicknamed "Fab Mab," the club hosted a number of important punk and new wave acts from 1976-1986, including the Dead Kennedys, The Avengers, Devo, Iggy Pop, Redd Kross, The Minutemen, Black Flag, The Ramones and Roky Erickson. This is a very early Hüsker Dü show, when they were still relatively unknown. You can hear club promoter & booker Dirk Dirksen announcing the set: "Jello Biafra, while touring in the Northwest, ran across these people and asked me to book 'em, so here they are, an addition to the program. Here's . . . [sounds unsure of the pronunciation] Hüsker Dü."

And as the guy who made this available said, this is "one of the most intense live shows by ANY band you'll ever find. I have no doubt in my mind that everyone who was there this night knew they were witnessing something very special. Any self-respecting punk fan needs to hear this one . . . Best played LOUD!" I agree.

HÜSKER DÜ
July 24th or 25th, 1981
Mabuhay Gardens in San Francisco
Introduction
All Tensed Up

Don't Try To Call
I'm Not Interested
Sore Eyes
Wheels
Private Hell
Travel In The Opposite Car
Don't Have A Life
Bricklayer
Tired Of Doing Things Your Way
Sexual Economics
Do You Remember?
Ultracore
Let's Go Die
Data Control

ZIP: HÜSKER D
Ü AT FAB MAB

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At May 21, 2008 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This f***in' slays! I totally would have gone to this show, but I was home teething. Thanks for the post!

 
At May 22, 2008 12:04 PM, Blogger Charles C Stirk Jr said...

THANKSSSSS

It was so great to be 14 again .....

 
At May 22, 2008 1:29 PM, Blogger courtney said...

My favorite band. Thanks for that.

 
At May 22, 2008 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

once again big up, thank you for yr swell site!

 
At May 24, 2008 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks muchly - this is like having a 2nd disk of "land speed record", except that the definition in these recordings is probably better...

 
At May 24, 2008 11:30 AM, Blogger pablo2541 said...

I love you... no, I do. Thanks for this!

 
At June 05, 2008 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outrageous , excellent - new (old) material ' Sore Eyes' .

thank you for posting!

 
At June 13, 2008 12:33 AM, Blogger zerode said...

I wasn't in the crib, I was at the Mab. And they did indeed thrash the place.

 
At July 10, 2008 10:42 AM, Blogger Gargantuan Media said...

Although these MP3's seem like they're disabled now I really enjoyed hearing this Husker show from this venue. Since I was 11 when the venue closed I didn't have a chance to see 'em as often as I'd liked. Great show and venue. Thanks for the post.

Graphic Design: Cincinnati, Ohio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter