I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

the earth is not a cold dead place

We'll leave after midnight on a warm night with no moon. I know a place above the city where we can lay back on a wool blanket and feel the rocks under our bones. We'll watch as the stars ignite their first tentative glimmers of the night, fighting initially through the atmospheric haze. It's never easy when you first start to find your light. My iPod is charged; maybe bring that base that plays music with no cords because we'll be far from any outlets and I have something I want to hear. I know life's been hard on you lately, hard on me. Maybe it wasn't meant to be easy. The grey of life makes tonight's sky seem all the more brilliant. A galaxy, a comet, a supernova. We'll listen to (and watch for) those explosions in the sky. The stars will sing - maybe tonight our music doesn't need the words.

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY
GREAT AMERICAN MUSIC HALL, SAN FRANCISCO
3/21/08
Intro
First Breath After Coma
Catastrophe And The Cure
The Birth And Death Of The Day
Six Days At The Bottom Of The Ocean
Greet Death
It's Natural To Be Afraid
Your Hand In Mine
The Only Moment We Were Alone

ZIP: EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY AT GAMH


Explosions In The Sky is a band from from Austin, Texas that tells amazing stories through songs which happen to lack words. Try it and see for yourself, the dizzying landscapes they can take you through.

This show was the second of three sold-out nights at the classy Great American Music Hall in San Francisco just back in March.

[thanks to the original taper. Pics from daryldarko and chaybert]

Labels:

14 Comments:

At May 07, 2008 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I caught them at the Wiltern in Los Angeles...stunning. Best show I'd been to in years. I nearly shed a tear during some of the songs. Here's a little montage I shot from the front row (distorted audio but you get the idea).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9y1LkILXg

 
At May 07, 2008 9:49 AM, Blogger KT said...

First Breath After a Coma...personal anthem at times. Brilliant.

 
At May 07, 2008 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

never heard of them, but they are now on my amazon wish list

 
At May 07, 2008 11:46 AM, Blogger Jason Warburg said...

My God, Heather, where do you find this stuff? Incredible.

 
At May 07, 2008 12:16 PM, Blogger sean broom said...

They are spectacular. I saw them last spring here in Minneapolis and walking home from the show I stopped in a little park on Nicollet Island and gazed at the Minneapolis skyline.[1] It was the last night of an early spring hot spell and as the cold front moved in the city lights were reflected off of the bottom of the clouds. I could still feel the thump of the bass drum in my chest, I could hear the triumphant chords ringing out still as I looked over the city I loved-- and it was heaven.






[1]Imagine this but without the powerlines (http://www.ala.org/img/acrl/news/2004/september/sa43FB.jpg)

 
At May 07, 2008 12:37 PM, Blogger heather said...

thank you sean.

 
At May 07, 2008 9:25 PM, Blogger Jason Berman said...

Did you catch them in Denver at the Ogden? Thank you so much for getting this up here. Love it.

 
At May 08, 2008 10:02 AM, Blogger Pete P. said...

That was beautifully written, I can really picture the scene and imagine the feeling. :-)

 
At May 08, 2008 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just listened to the whole show during work. I've known of these guys for awhile, but I'd never heard them live before. This is amazing stuff. And it's probably why I like "Friday Night Lights" (the movie) so much!

 
At May 08, 2008 2:39 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

I spent a few years stationed in Hawaii, on the weekends I would drive up to the north end of the island, between the mountians and the ocean, and just spend the night listining to all kinds of amazing music. I wish that I had known of this band then, it would have fit the environment perfectly.

Thanks -
Shawn
allmyheroesletmedrown

 
At May 09, 2008 4:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They are amazing! I love their sound, reminiscent of Isao Tomita slightly from the 70s. I was curious I am starting or restarting my own blog and I want to put MP3s on their how would I go about doing that? Thanks.

 
At May 09, 2008 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, i like

 
At May 30, 2008 8:45 PM, Blogger EB said...

I feel like Explosions in the Sky lets us express things we can't say in words, lets us feel things we're afraid to feel, when it is dark and quiet and only aware of our breathing, the scope of the world, and our small place in it.

In a way, Explosions makes things seem epic, our lives, worthwhile.

 
At July 15, 2008 9:11 AM, Blogger Mr. Kissner said...

too bad they're not playing old how strange, innocence tracks...although anything by them is quite solid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter