I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Sunday, April 13, 2008

The highest level of celestial heaven

If you're following this story with some interest:

I can recommend the riveting book Under The Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer (Into The Wild, Into Thin Air):

It's a well-researched, well-told, controversial look into the Mormon splinter groups that practice polygamy in remote areas of the American West, and their roots throughout history of that religion. I was drawn into this book and devoured it over one short weekend about two years ago; but hey even after reading it . . . why any man would want to deal with more than one wife still remains beyond me. Ha. In any case, it's a fascinating exploration into a topic we may have never thought would intrigue us, as one can always expect from Krakauer.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At April 14, 2008 2:04 PM, Blogger Trent said...

Couldn't agree more with your thoughts on the book...especially the idea that a man would WANT more than one wife. Haha.
Seriously though, it's a great read.

 
At April 15, 2008 10:10 PM, Blogger AAA said...

I tried reading the book, I found it pretty good at first, but then it kind of meandered off and lost it's focus. It's a shame!
____
New music blog: www.returnticketmusic.com

 
At April 17, 2008 11:39 AM, Blogger T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

Just as a sidenote (I love you blog by the way) Under The Banner of Heaven is poorly researched and Krakauer is definitely no qualified historian.

 
At April 17, 2008 11:50 AM, Blogger T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

"you blog" = your blog Ha.

Oh check out these reviews:

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/display.php?table=review&id=530

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0717/p15s02-bogn.html

As a Mormon, I just thought I'd share my thoughts. The Texas raid is both a good cause yet I feel poorly carried out.

 
At April 18, 2008 7:24 AM, Blogger heather said...

hey t. douglas, thank you very much for those interesting links. didn't know that.....

 
At April 18, 2008 2:21 PM, Blogger T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

No problem.

 
At April 22, 2008 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well with the polygamists in the news, I was curious about what Mr. Jon Krakauer is up to these days. I found this tidbit about his new book...

"It has since been announced that Krakauer's new book, The Hero, will be released by publisher Doubleday on October 14, 2008. The Hero will be about former NFL football player Pat Tillman, who enlisted in the US Army after 9/11 to become an Army Ranger and was eventually killed in action under suspicious circumstances in Afghanistan. In addition to performing research in Afghanistan, Krakauer was able to interview members of Tillman's family and read Tillman's diaries and letters, to prepare for writing the book. Doubleday's David Drake says Krakauer's interest in Tillman reflects "the fascination he has with extreme people, who push themselves to the very limits of their capabilities"."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter