I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, March 15, 2008

What comes is better than what came before

I (finally) saw Juno last night, and there's a scene towards the end where Cat Power's earthy, smoky voice fills the theater with her sublimely saddened version of "Sea of Love," off her Covers Record.

As I walked out of the movies into the crisp and cold night, I found myself quietly singing another selection from that album, her elegiac version of the Velvet Underground's "I Found A Reason." It's less than two minutes long, and like most of her covers it's more of a reinvention than a faithful retelling. The lyrics morph; the only ones consistent between the two versions go:

Oh I do believe
you're all what you perceive (Velvet) /
in all the things you say (Cat)

What comes is better than what came before

. . . and you'd better
come come come come
to me
Better come
come come to me . . .


I Found A Reason - Cat Power
I Found A Reason - The Velvet Underground
I Found A Reason (demo version) - The Velvet Underground


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At March 16, 2008 6:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

But did you like Juno?


also are you excited about the upcoming tour announcement this week for pearl jam?

 
At March 17, 2008 10:48 AM, Blogger Yon said...

That song first showed up on her The Covers Record. Which as you might guess is packed with great covers, including Satisfaction. That was the album that got me to Listen to Chan's music.

Back then VU was circulating through a lot of alternative groups. the Cowboy Junkies cover them on White Off Earth Now! (which is my favorite album of theirs.)

This was never the best VU song, and Chan gave it life. Still it came from a Great VU album. Thanks for sharing.

 
At March 19, 2008 3:14 PM, Blogger Russell said...

A haunting performance.

My own vague comments on Juno appear on the blog above.
Still really enjoying the wistful and lyrical tone of fuel.

 
At March 19, 2008 8:22 PM, Blogger Asian Kid A said...

wow, thanks for sharing this cover. I've learned that Cat Power is kind of hit or miss with me. Not sure if you've heard Melody Gardot, but there was mention of her on a wall street journal blog (go figure) anyway, here's the link http://blogs.wsj.com/buzzwatch/2008/03/19/chart-climbers-smoky-voice-discount-price-lift-a-jazz-newcomer/

 
At April 03, 2008 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like cats, I love the Velvets and in a perfect world world nobody is his right mind would listen to Miss Power. Yuck! Once more with feeling: Yuck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter