I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Vedder plays $5 secret shows in West Seattle

One of the things I am most looking forward to about seeing Ed Vedder solo next Monday in Berkeley is the variety of rare and semi-rare tunes I'm hoping he'll play. I've seen Pearl Jam so many times that they'd have to dig quite deep to throw something I'd never seen, but within the framework of a solo setting there are many songs that I'd love to see live for the first time.

Judging from the setlists at the two secret shows Vedder played to fewer than 150 people this past Monday and Tuesday night at Kenyon Hall in West Seattle (tickets for an "Into The Wild event" were sold for $5 at indie record store Easy Street), I could be in for some pretty rad selections.

Here are (other live versions of) a few tunes he played at the shows this week:

THE "SOLO VEDDER HYPOTHETICAL SETLIST 2008" MIX
Walkin' The Cow (Daniel Johnston cover, Bridge School 1994)
Around The Bend (live Bridge School 2006)
I Am Mine (live Bridge School 2004)
Dead Man (live, Not In Our Name Benefit 1998)
Broken Hearted (live at the Wiltern Theatre 2002)
You're True (live at the Wiltern Theatre 2002)
Goodbye (live at UCLA 2002)
Trouble (Cat Stevens cover, live)
Picture In A Frame (Tom Waits cover, Bridge School 2006)
Won't Back Down (Tom Petty cover, live in 93-ish)
Forever Young (Dylan cover, 5.24.06)
I Used To Work In Chicago (Bridge School 06)
Millworker (James Taylor cover, live in 2004)
Drifting (live in Mansfield, MA, 2003)
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Chicago 5.16.06)
Growin' Up (Springsteen cover, live in 2003)

ZIP: "SOLO VEDDER HYPOTHETICAL SETLIST 2008" MIX



[Late addition/not in the zip] - Patriot!! Thanks to the comments, I'm gonna post up a few versions here of one of my favorite covers that Pearl Jam does, and add my voice to the small chorus suggesting this for the solo shows. Such a fantastic song.

Patriot (punked out version, Tibetan Freedom Concert 6/13/99)
Patriot (acoustic, Madison Square Garden 10/13/00)
Patriot (all reworked, live in 2003)

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At March 27, 2008 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for announcing this! I would hate to miss it.

 
At March 27, 2008 11:23 AM, Blogger heather said...

ummm....sorry. you already did miss it. the shows were earlier this week.

 
At March 27, 2008 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol -- snooze and lose

hey heather - why are all the zip files so hard to uncompress? when I open it it just gives me another zip file and so on and so on.......what am I missing here?

 
At March 27, 2008 12:17 PM, Blogger daryn said...

hey anonymous,

I bet you're on a mac? they do the same thing for me, it's actually recompressing them rather than uncompressing them. I'm not sure why it does it (only does it with some zips, like heather's), but i get around it by using stuffit expander instead of the built-in archive utility.

anyway, i'm also sad to have been within 10 miles of these shows and missed them.

 
At March 27, 2008 1:51 PM, Blogger Mr. Lawler said...

Thanks for the post. I'll be at the Santa Cruz show and in Berkeley for night two, which I will be able to walk to from my house. They will be amazing. I saw him play walk the cow as a pre show at the Forum in LA a few years ago. I can't wait........

 
At March 27, 2008 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,
no I mean the one in Berkeley next Monday...that is not sold out yet is it? (i also posted the first anon comment)

 
At March 27, 2008 4:08 PM, Blogger heather said...

Anon, pretty sure all the Vedder solo shows sold out pretty much instantly. It was a tough ticket....

 
At March 27, 2008 4:27 PM, Blogger bem said...

I was at this seattle secret show. It wasn't very good so I went and got some tacos but then they weren't very good so I drove home.

 
At March 27, 2008 4:33 PM, Blogger heather said...

firedande, you're a filthy liar. you're lucky i like you and your antagonizing ways.

 
At March 27, 2008 4:36 PM, Blogger bem said...

yeah. Eddie Vedder was cool but the tacos were slightly better. Sorry fuelfriend, sorry that the tacos were slightly better.

 
At March 27, 2008 5:11 PM, Blogger serena said...

oh... what i would do to see any of these EV shoes... but alas, i am a world away in s. fla...
argh!!

 
At March 28, 2008 9:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

If'n your're lucky, you may get an "I'm a Patriot" - my personal favorite EV solo cover..

 
At March 28, 2008 9:27 AM, Blogger heather said...

Darren - I would die. Pretty much. Probably my favorite cover too -

"I want to run like the lions
released from the cages
released from the rages
burnin in my soul tonight..."

 
At March 28, 2008 9:46 AM, Blogger FISHERDAH said...

"I'm a Patriot"! Oh, I had forgotten about that song till just a moment ago! Then I found the MP3 here. Thanks so much! Is there a solo version floating around somewhere? In my head I hear a solo version.

 
At March 28, 2008 10:01 AM, Blogger FISHERDAH said...

ah, i just remember, the video of the nader events.

 
At March 28, 2008 2:25 PM, Blogger heather said...

Added some Patriot tracks for you guys....

 
At March 28, 2008 2:40 PM, Blogger FISHERDAH said...

thanks so much! these sound so much better than my youtube audio rips.

 
At March 28, 2008 8:19 PM, Blogger Bona Fide Darling said...

Is that a tour poster?

 
At March 29, 2008 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on a mac and they unzip just fine and play even better. Thanks Heather! I will be sure to give you a report from night 1 in Vancouver.

 
At March 29, 2008 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather-
I read your blog all the time, but never comment. I WAS at the show on Monday night. My wife and I flew out to Seattle on Saturday and left on Tuesday. My sister moved to West Seattle a year ago and this was our first visit. Been a PJ fan since the start and in my wildest dreams I couldn't have come up with a better story to tell...AND IT IS ALL TRUE. I am still pinching myself. We had tickets #25 and #26. The poster is amazing. I'm working on getting it framed right now.
Keep doing what you do and I'll keep reading. Thanks!

 
At April 04, 2008 7:14 AM, Blogger megan said...

thank you so much for this. i was looking for good versions of some of the songs that he played in vancouver, especially growin up. thanks

 
At April 04, 2008 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

you should use another zip-prog; the longer filenames are cutted ...

Greets from Berlin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter