I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

stars and nebulae would swing around us in silent, endless arcs

I have read very little of author Arthur C. Clarke (author of over 100 books, best known for 2001: A Space Odyssey and his work with Kubrick on the film), who died today in Sri Lanka. But a friend of mine recommended this short story Clarke wrote, The Star, saying it was amongst the finest pieces of writing he had ever read. I found it beautifully wistful, thought-provoking and chilling at once. I never tire of how a good science fiction writer can construct such an utterly believable alternate universe and reality, and free our minds for just a few minutes from the confines and constructs of this one.

Read: The Star

2 Comments:

At March 19, 2008 9:21 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

He's one of my favorite authors - 9 Billion Names of God is my favorite of is.

He'll be missed...

 
At March 19, 2008 12:41 PM, Blogger Russell said...

So true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter